1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you buy a GMC truck off a Toyota dealership?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by westcoh, Nov 26, 2007.

1. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

Just wondering how many of you would buy a used truck off a different manufacturers lot. I've always heard the theory that if the person who traded it in is switching brands then theres a higher chance of the vehicle being a lemon.

The truck I'm looking at is a 2005 Sierra 2500HD ext. cab, 4x4 with the duramax, 95,000 miles, and SLE trim level for $21,000. Good deal, or should I pass?
  2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

They probably are switching to a Tundra. It's happening a lot.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure that these vehicles are THIS dealers personal trades?

Usually vehicles are bought at auction for the used car lot market.

Price sounds decent for what it is. Sounds like a boat load of miles though for an '05!?
  4. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I worked at a Nissan dealership as a mechanic for several years. Most of the used cars we sold came from the auctions. We would get them in and do an inspection and fix any major problem leaks, brakes, tires, always a oil change, etc. After that we always tried to internally up sell to the used car department and depending on the how there profits were going we would sometimes be approved for maintenance things (tune up, timing belts, rotate and balance tires, things of that nature). So almost all the time we sold good cars and trucks at the dealership lot.

Now for the horror stories in the used car market. If there was something major wrong back to the auction it would go but just older cars with normal wear and tear they would ship out to a couple separate car lots the dealership owned in different towns. Not much money spent on these cars maybe a oil change but that was about it.

In review if it is at a new car dealership it is most likely in good shape. They do not want to give the manufacturer a bad rep. They may lose there contracts with them to another dealer.

In my opinion it does have allot of miles to be that new. An extended warranty may not be a bad idea. Do not worry about getting it they will definitely try to sell you one when you buy it. They make big money on those. But with all the miles it maybe in your best interest as well..

Hope this helps you make your decision. Good luck.:waving:
  5. CFLS

CFLS LawnSite Member

I bought my 02 GMC Duramax used from a Nissan dealer. It's been a great truck. It was about 2yrs old when I got it with 84,000 miles.
  6. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta figue that the GMC even with problems, is still better than that piece of crap toyota pawns off as a truck.
  7. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

I really doubt that someone would trade in a 2500HD with a Duramax for a Tundra because they want a better truck :dizzy:. That's unless they're getting out of the business and are looking for something the wife can go grocery shopping with. lol
  8. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

Sounds like a decent deal but that is a lot of miles for an 05. You might want to try talking them down some on the price.

And they weren't trading it in because the Tundra is a better truck. I have to agree with windsory that it is probably somebody getting out of the business and their wife needs a daily driver to cart the kids around and get groceries.
  9. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I just traded my 05 chevy HD. It had 19,000 miles on it. There are good used trucks out there.
  10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I'd buy it if I was looking for another truck. I love the GMC duramax/allison trucks, 2nd only to mine of course.