Would you buy a mower that was a demo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davidcalhoun, Dec 18, 2006.

1. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

We have all heard a dealer say "this mower has only been used as a demo".

What would be your criteria for buying a demo mower?

Pro - If it's a legit dealer, then you know that you will get a full manufacturer warranty. Hopefully you will get dealer priority when/if it needs fixed.

Con - 50 hours on a demo "might" be more like 75 to 100 hours of wear and tear. Keep in mind that we have read stories where people admit that they beat the sh_t out of it while they tried it out.

For the record, I have purchased mowers in the past that were used as demos. The price was at a reasonable discount based on the perceived use/abuse that I could see.

I try to stay away from "loaner" machines. They usually have more hours on them and have been run second tier employees. Could be lots of unseen abuse.

2. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a super z demo in the spring with 48 hours on it. I have been nothing but happy with this machine. I have 23 accounts and love this mower. For the money it saved me I am very satisfied.

3. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

I have never bought a demo mower, but if you know the dealer and he will provide good service and the machine doesn't look to ragged then I would probably buy if the price was right. I have kinda questioned that myself with rental machines when they replace them.....

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know I like buying new because you don't know how someone was testing it to see "how it worked".

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

You obviously are taking a chance with a demo but you are saving some cash. I would buy a demo if I was paying cash and tell the dealer you want a new set of blades thrown in too. On the other hand if your going to finance it you might as well buy new for the peace of mind. It all depends on you wallet and how big of a discount you getting.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well sometimes a demo can be had for a LOT less money and still have a 2 year warranty. So unless it had been abused I would give it a shot . Of course that's provided it was a bargain.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

While some guys beat the snot out of a demo machine, many of the local dealers around me change the oil after every demo trip. They maintain the units quite well so if the price was right, Yes I would buy a demo machine.

8. Rougher83

Rougher83 LawnSite Member

I personally have no problem with buying a demo unit. My philosophy is thus-and remember these are my experiences with a trusted dealer.

1. I am getting it at a substantially lower price...if I've done my homework and negotiated accordingly.

2. What do I care how it has been used or abused...I also get a new mower warranty. So what, that they have to replace everything on it. When I take it in for repairs I get a loner...so I'm not without equipment.

3. In a couple of years when I'm ready to upgrade or get something different...I can still get at or very near what I originally paid for the unit.

In my opinion it is very similar to buying a new car -vs- used. Why should I incur the depreciation expense if I can avoid it...just because I can tell myself its brand new. For me that way of thinking is over-rated.

Just my opinion...so take it for what it's worth...but I ask "why wouldn't you consider a demo"?

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would buy one...in fact I am looking at one right now at my dealer's.

10. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree completely. I bought a demo ztr and to tell you the truth I don't think I'd spend the another $1200 to have 50 hours and a couple of small scratches taken off of the machine. The dealers were great- they seriviced it and washed and waxed it for me, but that was just a bonus. I think I would've been just as tough on it as any other guy could've been during those first 50 hours. JMO