Would you buy a Toro Z over a Scag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 6, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

All other things being equal- dealer support and what have you, would you buy a Toro mid mount Z over a Scag? If so why?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have no problem with the Toro's. But in my area the Scag would be a better choice. If we are talking about the Turf Tiger it is better on hills, has a much wider selection of engines, transmission cooler, better wet/tall grass performance, resale value, etc. Engine selection is so much better on the Exmark (owned by Toro) side of the family but Toro may have a better built deck, not sure. I do really like the build of the Turbo force deck though.

3. tb8100

from TX

the Scag has nicer pulleys, a longer warranty, stronger deck, velocity plus on all models (even the promo models) vs Toro's putting the Turbo Force only on most models, the same spindles on all mowers except the Freedom. Blowout valve on spindles, easy adjustment on control arms, nicer seats... I just didn't know if Toro had any design advantages over the Scag besides the deck differences.

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

It depends. We just changed over from scags this spring. Both dealers are excellent here, but Toro has a points program where we were able to save quite a bit of money. We are also hoping we will get a better finished appearance on the well manicured lawns. Scags do leave a great cut, but the long clippings tend to make us have to double cut to get a finished look. Scags are tough to beat, and in overall build I believe they take the cake, however I think Toro makes a very good mower that can handle commercial use as well as anything else out there. Only time will tell whether we made the right decision or not.

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

28 kohler as an engine option was a big advantage over scag up until this year (in my opinion).

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Diddo What tacoma200 said................My Bottom line is they are both good mowers

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Of course in my above post I said for my area specifically. The Turbo Force may have a better cut for high end residential (and yes smaller clippings in the closed position). The adjustable deck with no tools was a great idea by Toro. I have no experience first hand but most say it does great as long as you are not in extreme conditions. Yes the 28 Kohler would have been a great addition for Scag. Toro has a decent selection below 30 hp including the 28 Kawasaki and Kohler. But above 30 hp, the area that I would be interested in there isn't much. I just have specific needs for my area and accounts, I'm not knocking Toro in anyway.

8. jaybird24

from midwest

I know where you're coming from Tacoma. My take on it is this- Toro has been making true finish mowers for a long time- this is they're strong point. A well manicured lawn should take less power to cut so they don't overpower them because their customers are using them for this purpose. Scag understands that most commercial LCO's are going to use their machine to cut everything they encounter whether 3 ft. tall sawgrass, or a nice lawn, and build machines capable to withstand the extra stress placed on them. This is why we are rebuilding the deck on one of our scags so we have this option. Scags are way overbuilt if all your going to do is mow nice lawns, but who does that, not many. Everybody is making these machines now and the manufacturers are working their own niche on the market.

9. tb8100

from TX

Why does the Toro cost as much or more than a "comparable" Scag then? The Z400 series mowers have nothing on a Tiger Cub, and I'm trying to figure out where the money is at on the 400 series. The 500 series is built a bit better, but they don't hold a candle to the Wildcats and Turf Tigers in build quality, creature comforts, and overall design.

So the advantage is in the cut then (in certain conditions)?

10. jaybird24

from midwest

I don't think the 400 is meant to be comparable, the 450 would be the tiger cubs counterpart. The wildcat would compare to the 550 series. The turf tiger takes the build to the next level where the toros 580 and 590 engines match up, but overall build they are more in the league of the wildcat,very few mowers would compare with the turf tiger in overall build. Different regions, different prices, I don't know what to tell you.