1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you buy a truck with a rebuilt title?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tamo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a 2000 Tundra v6. Bare bones options which is exactly what I'm looking for. The truck looks great, but it has a rebuilt title as a result of a collision. The guy had the box and tailgate replaced. It checks out at my mechanic.

The guy's asking $5750 which is blue book in good condition. I asked him if he'd take $5500 and he said yeah.

My concern is that I shouldn't be buying a truck with a marked title without a significant discount. Resale would probably be tough, but would plan to hold on to the truck for a while.

Anyone have any experience with a marked title or advise?

thanks, john
  2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

um if it has a rebuilt title its not worth blue book prices, id say 70% of the value

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't chance it. Not even at 70% of retail. You should be able to buy a good truck for 80% to 90% of retail all day long. If you bite on this one, your the sucker.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Talk to your insurance company first....The rate for a "rebuilt" vehicle may be higher.
    In most cases the rebuil or salvage title, means the vehicle deemed a total loss bases on $$$ of repairs.

Replacing the entire rear box of a truck and getting repainted would easily exceede more than 1/2 of the value of the truck.

I'd venture to say the guy bought the truck back form the insurance company, found a used box, repainted it, and slapped it on himself.

Id buy the truck, but not @ full retail provided the frame was still straight....
  5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

You're insurance company isn't going to pay you anything like BB on it if YOU wreck it, with that title.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

If They Will Even Insure It At All. I Would Venture To Bet That They Would Not Touch It Since It Has A "total Loss" History Behind It. Most Of The Total Lost Situations Are Over Money, But Sometimes They Are For Safety Reasons. Insurance Companies Can't Dispell Either Of These A Lot Of Times, So They May Just Skip On Letting You Add That Vehicle. I Still Stand Strong, Don't Buy Someone Else's Problems, Keep Looking...
  7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

If that truck has a new box and tailgate I'd bet a lot of money the frame is boogered up. Plus everything everyone above said.
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Do some of you guys even know what a rebuild title is? Ask your insurance agent not us.
    FYI I wouldn't buy a rebuilt title unless I seen before and after pictures and I wouldn't have collision on it either. We have several places in our area that rebuild trucks and most do a great job but there are also ones who slap it together and send it to the auction. I had a buddy who bought one from a shady place and a year later the cops showed up and took everything except for the tires from him. Everything they used to rebuild the truck was stolen. He lost out on the money.
  9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would not touch it. Not worth the risk if you plan on depending on the vehicle to earn a living. Alot of things can be covered up by replacing beds and a bit of sheet metal. The only way you will know if the frame was truly straight would be to put it on a frame rack and have it measured with lasers. But like was said above, if they had to replace the entire box, I will bet something was wrong with the frame.
  10. amanda8950

amanda8950 LawnSite Member

Tamo - I've purchased and/or sold about 25 reconstructed title vehicles. Couple things I saw in the previous postings that need to be pointed out.

Sale price - I believe you said it was close to blue book value. KBB used to have values for reconstructed title vehicles but they stopped using them about 2 years ago. When I sell a vehicle with a reconstructed title - my asking price is " trade-in value , good condition less 10 %"

Insurance - you will have no trouble insuring the vehicle. I'ne insured my vehicles through 2 seperate nationwide agencies and have paid no different because the vehicle had a reconstructed title. You do have to make sure that you have it noted with your insurance that the vehicle does have a reconstructed title.

The only difference I have seen where you pay more for somthing because it has a reconstructed title is if you need a loan for the purchase of the vehicle. You will pay a considerably higher interest rate on a traditional car loan because of the reconstructed title, making it almost better rate-wise just to get a personal loan rather than a car loan.

Finally, I would only buy a reconstructed vehicle if atleast 1 of the following 2 items are true -

1. You know what you're looking for in terms of if the repairs have been done correctly. Most states require a state inspection after the work is done to make certain the work needed was done - but believe when I say there are ways around the state inspection.

2. You know the person that is selling the vehicle and trust him. I have had 6 repeat customers and have had another 5 referred to me from those repeat customers.