would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by d&rlawncare, Jan 24, 2008.

1. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I ran across a 1985 f250 4WD supercab sitting on the side of the road yesterday. Called the owner who is the ORIGINAL owner and in his mid-eighties. Comes with topper, hitch, electric brake box. The bad- no AC, pass door dont open from outside, tailgate shuts but has fell open once and the owner thinks it is broke. But has never happened again.

The good- 31,000 ORIGINAL MILES he bought it in 1985 to tow his daughters horses around and that only lasted 2 years. SInce then he just drives it here and there to keep it going. He replaced raditor and belts last year.

WOULD YOU BUY IT? and what would you pay?

2. monty33

monty33 LawnSite Member

Hell yeah. $2000. Would not want it as my personal ride for long, but would put an employee/crew in it and tell them to take care of the old man's classic or else. Easy to work on and paid for real quick, like day one.

3. d&rlawncare

Yup thats my plan. and he dont even want that much for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

It could be a good truck, but don't let the low mileage fool you into thinking it's automatically a creampuff. Sitting around not being driven much in some ways is worse than driving every day. In the fire dept. I work for we have surplused several vehicles with very low mileage that you couldn't pay me to own.

5. d&rlawncare

I have thought of this as well. I already have a 2003 f250 so I dont NEED another truck. But if I do hire someone this year to work while Im at my fulltime job then I wouldnt have to worry about needing another truck. This all depends on the amount of accounts I get. I would most likely use the 85 and go to work. 8 miles one way. and let the 03 hit the road for mowing. Ive been looking on ebay a 1985 f250 is going for close to what this guy is asking and it is listed as a "for part truck only" Im still undecided but hate to pass it up.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

What engine does it have?

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If you don't need I would not buy it unless you can make a profit selling it on ebay.

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If miles are original don’t look back.:drinkup:

9. d&rlawncare

cant remember right now.

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

LOL your doing it kinda backwards, I'd be putting the 85' out there to mow. No way I'd be using a 4 year old truck.