1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

would you buy kubota if it weighed less?... my story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Aug 9, 2007.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i've been looking for a new mower lately.

i currently have a kubota zd18 with 54" deck (800hrs). it's been a great little mower, i love the diesel motor it runs flawlessly and sips fuel.

last month i fixed the charge pump it was shot. i have worried of one day having to replace a hydro motor on this machine. i've been told this can cost like $2000. i'm thinking is in my best interest to trade it in for a new mower.

i have been told that they have fixed all the hydro problems they were having. as i look at their web site and read all the information. it's just a great mower. first of all it looks fabulous(actually has a hood for the motor).
    shaft driven, fixed or pivot front, jack, DIESEL, hydraulic foot lift deck. grass catcher looks good.

down side.... weight
    my zd18 weighs about 1100 the new machine weighs 1671

i like my kubota i am weighing my options but i just can't see going back to a kubota.

i've been eyeing up a hustler super z with a 54" deck.

if this were your story what would you do?
  2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

help me decide what to do
  3. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

Kubota's are heavy mowers. Depending upon the ground conditions where you live, that weight may be a problem and leave ruts or they may not. A friend just picked up a new one and he loves it for the speed and the cut, and it is built like a tank, but it also weighs more than the compition.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Grass -

Here's my take on it.

I do the Chisago school district.

Right now I'm running a ZD331 / 72, a ZD28 / 60 and I have a Kubota 4330 L series tractor with cab, AND loader arms pulling a 15' Bush Hog tri-deck mower.

The other day, don't know how often you get on Hwy 8 through Lindstrom / Center City over to Taylors Falls / St. Croix Falls, but 1/2 way between Lindstrom and Center City is the Middle School for the district.

The football field at this school has just had irrigation put in this summer.

So far it's not correct in it's settings, we keep telling the heads ground guy, and he adjusts it, but so far every time we go and mow, it's flooded with water.

Same thing with the main softball field at the senior high.

With the ZD331, we've been told to stay off the softball field by the coach.

What happened in the past, is that the previous company would do the fields with either a John Deere garden tractor, or they had Standers. They put ruts in the ground because it was so soft.

Finally I've had enough of waiting for the fields to dry out, so I just started mowing them. One day the coach saw me and was PISSED, came flying down the sidewalk in his car, ran out onto the field and was screaming at me to get off the field, that I was going to rut it up.

I waited for him to finish talking and calmly asked him to show me where the ruts were so I could fix them. He started storming all over the field looking for ruts and couldn't find any. Then he stormed off.

Same thing with the tractor / bush hog mower. The small tires on the Tri-deck leave more ruts than the big tires do.

The only time I ever leave ANY rut, is if there's an area in the turf that's bare. I will leave a rut then, because the mower will sink down about 1/4" if the ground is quite wet. If it's healthy turf, I have no problems.

Again, this is with a ZD331 with the 72" deck.

If you were going up to a ZD326 with the 54 or 60, you'd have even less problems.
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

After extensive use, what's your take on the ZD331? :usflag:
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we bought 3 new 326 kubotas and they are one real serious cutting machine. the hydros are real scary touchy when new but then they are second nature. they are real heavy and if you plan on doing anything with hills and rain has happened forget it all together, other thatn that, these machines absolutley cant be beat, not by a longshot. i tried the 331 and it actually raced full speed no bogging up very steap inclines, amazing but maybe too much power unless this i s what you mow every day.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Give me til the end of the week, and I'll post a review.

Just crazy right now trying to tie up lose ends with invoicing for the summer, end of the season projects, leaf cleanups, getting everything ready for snow work, plus the firewood sales.