Would you buy this Exmark Commercial 30

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Shenandoah75, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Shenandoah75

Shenandoah75 LawnSite Member

So i talked to Exmark support today. They gave the cutover serial # (when inspections began on the transmissions after the problem was identified) as 313611601 . My local dealer has one with a serial < 20 digits below that. Dealer had bought a batch of 4 and has sold three of these and wasn't aware of any issues with the tranny and hasn't had any of the three back for service.

I get this model at a $125 savings if i buy the one on the floor versus ordering.

Would you pull the trigger? I think in the big "trigger" post (the one that's like 50 pages long with Exmark PR chipping in) most people said they went bad early (< 5 hours?)

thx

2. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

If I were you, I would wait for 2014. Why? Because there is some talk of upgrades to the mower itself and a bit better transmission.
    Hope this helps!

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

REALLY??? wow that would be GREAT. I think there are many things that do need to be addressed.

I am curious, where did you hear this and what specifically are they talking about addressing other than tranny?

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a Toro TimeMaster 30 instead unless you need to use it on steep up and down slopes due to personal pace drive.

5. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

2 of my dealers in my city told me.
    Apparently, they want to put the Toro 22196/22197/22198 wheels on a larger diameter instead of the plastic cheap ones that are on now, bigger side discharge shoot and of course tranny upgrades.

VERY UNLIKLEY: Different engine choices other than the Kawi.

But don't quote me on this because as of now it's just rumors.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I'm curious if Toro/ExMark are warrantying ALL (30" mower) transmissions for 2 years...or just the ones that were replaced due to defects?

7. Exmark PR

Exmark PR Sponsor

Exmark extended the warranty on the transmission to two years for all 2013 Commercial 30’s mowers.

8. Wwetmor

Wwetmor LawnSite Member

I found this thread via google and thought I would share my experience.
    Mine just failed...horrid sound coming from tranny.
    I decided to disassemble and find out what happened.
    Turns out the ring gear is a cheap cast piece and several teeth had sheared off. Closer examination revealed that there was a lot of porosity so the teeth were weak. I called The dealer who called Exmark on my behalf and I was DENIED A REPLACEMENT.
    I contacted both general transmission and Exmark directly.
    General transmission told me that they changed suppliers for the ring gear and improved quality control for their mv502 tranny. They offered to send a new one.

Exmark responded, I sent them pics of the bad part and they opened a case...no resolution thus far.

What I do know is that I needed my mower back so I bought the part @ $102. Maybe I will get my money back...or maybe I will get a spare.

The bottomline is that Exmark should have recalled these...also my serial number was past the cutoff date.

9. donamow

donamow LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device

10. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

I still can't believe all of the issues with these machines and the price people pay for them. I can understand operating on a low budget and as much as I despise belt drive walk behinds, I would certainly buy one over the 30" throw away problem machines being built/sold.
    Posted via Mobile Device