Would you buy this mower for $14,000?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Oct 20, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's a 2001, 354 hours on it. City owned in New York state. Dealer has had it for a year and a half. It was a trade in.

10 1/2' cut, 55 hp diesel.

Toro 455. New, they're marketed under Toro 4100, and are about $40k-ish.

Plus, the dealer will give 0% financing for 6 months, so you don't have any payments on it until next spring, when you'll start doing work again.

MVC-006S (1).JPG

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

sound like a good deal. 300 hours on a desiel is not even breaking a sweat. being that it was city owned means it was operated by city employee's meaning that they proably ran over anything they did not want to pick up. or treated it like dirt. you know engaging the blade clutch at full RPM's, stuff like that...

Just playing devils advocate,

as it sound like a great price...

(canadian $$$)

Just check to make sure the hour meter is working and have the dealer sign a statement as to the validity of the hour meter reading....Hate a buy a machine that has 3000 hours as opposed to 300....
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would be all over that like ugly on a ape. We run 3 Toro 325D Groundsmasters (72") at the moment.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I seem to remember that machine new is around 48K. 300 hours like Marc said is zilch.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems to good to be true ! 350 hours ain't nothing,especially on a diesel.Check it out good,those city employees are hell on equipment.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

city must have decided it would be cheaper to contract the lawn care than pay the city employee along with the required beenies.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The story that I've gotten from both the city and the dealer, is it's too big of a mower for the properties that the city maintains.

They traded it in on (2) John Deere 1445, 72" deck.
  8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds cheap. As mentined earlier, if the hours are true, and it looks like they are, its a great buy if you need it. I bought a couple new Z's this spring and put on more hours than that on each, even with a lack of labor. I don't know if they have made many changes since that 01' model but a few guys on here ( costal greenscapes happens to come to mind) recently purchased wide area toro(s) and I have not heard any complaints. Rare for the bunch of yahoos on here.
  9. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Yes, I paid 40k for my Jacobsen 5111 WAM....if you have the need go for it...
  10. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

City owned in New York State??? Means that it was probably run by a unionized city worker That spent 2 hours a day loading and unloading. 3 Hours a day idling due to late breakfast breaks, lunch, mid afternoon snack breaks. 1 hour actually working per day (at a snails pace of course over the same areas) and 9 hours on the weekend (friends and family plan ) brought it home to make a few extra bucks and impress the friends;)