Would you buy this Mower That Has Been Sitting Outside in the Elements

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vaulta, Sep 2, 2007.

1. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

this guy has a 36" walk behind John deer Gs30 belt driven for sale for 350.00 dollers. Said it runs great has probaly 500 hours on it and was only used for the last seven years for back yards.The only down part is that the deck is a liitle rusted because he has stored it outside for the life of the mower. Killer deal should i consider this mower even thou it was stored outside?thanx for any help!!

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I would go look at it because he only wants $350. Doesn't hurt to look.

3. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

he sent me pictures the mower looks great, except for the rust here and thier on the deck nothing major. iam just worried if the engine would be jacked up because it has been stored outside with I think no cover the way it sounds.but iam looking too get a year out of it?

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I don't see how you could go wrong for $350 bucks. May want to replace some/all of the bearings on it though, but other then that it should be OK I would think.

5. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

cool, thanx

6. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

Being stored outside should damage the motor. Only thing is maybe the plastic ie fuel line, plug wire ,may have damage from the sun. Also the rust. But for 350 it sounds like a good deal.

7. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Damage the motor in what kind of way, I am looking too get a year out of it and get something better.thanx for all the advice

8. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I am sorry. That should have read "SHOULD NOT".

9. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

oh, thanx emj

10. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

As long as the motor was taken care of and did not get water in the internals it should be fine. I have seen stuff left outside in the woste weather for years.The motor will be fine except for the cleaning of the fuel system. But they were left sitting. I think as long as it runs good and you due you basic checks compression, spark, oils, fuel, bearings, etc. You should be fine.