Would you buy this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JCee, Mar 25, 2006.

1. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

2003 Toro Z Master 153 series 23 Horse Kohler with 500 hours and with Toro's bagging system (2 bagger) Guy wants 5000 for it. Would you do it....What is the typical life time of those hydro wheel pumps?

2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

i think i have replace 3 hydro pumps maybe in 10 years. we have 4 ztrs oldest has 5,000 hours and mybe replaced 2 pumps or 1 cant remember. we tow 800lb rollers 400 lb aerators carts spreaders i even towed one of my trucks with it a short distance. im not sure if the prices is a deal but i would not worry abiut the pumps, worry more about the motor and have a compression test done , check the oil for color , and check the air filter. If clean its prob ok , if dirty yo uknow its not being kept up the best. Im spending $3500 on a 25 kholer and a brand new deck for a 60" laser as we speak. i got a steal on the mower last spring. ILL be close to 5k also but i ahve brand new motor brand new deck.

3. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

So what you are saying is that if if was maintained ok, the machine "should" be fine for awhile? Does anyone know if this is a fair price for that make and model? I would assume that in 2003 it was probably around 8500 with the bagger and all. 9000 tops....

4. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I know that 500 hours is not supposed to be too much on a commercial machine but when you actually think about it that is alot of run time. at 8 hour days it is 62 days of constant use....jeez

5. OutdoorExtras

OutdoorExtras LawnSite Member

The mower should will be fine until about 2000 to 2500 hours. Then you may begin having problems with the hydros and engine. The only major things that may need replaced before 2500 hours are the electric clutch, seat, muffler, coil pack and belts. I put about 1000 hours on my Toros per season and always sold them after 2 to 3 years; 500 hours is a very low amount of use for a ZTR.

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

$5000 with a bagger is a decent price, thats about what its worth.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

500 hours is proably 1/2-3/4 of a season gotta remember the mower if it was running all day, would only see tops 6 hours per day...in most cases., and if its a 1-2 man crew chances are it may have seen closer to four hours per day. again depending on location and crew size, route density ect.

TGLC would sell their mowers at auction around the 2500+ hour mark. I purchases a 72 exmark with the 25 kohler it had 2000 hours on it when I got it. I sold it at 3000 hours and it still had life.

If I had to guess I'd say you could proably get another four season out of it, if you used it around 500 hours a season....

8. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Personally, we run a two man crew, and we will probably only work 3 days a week. (part time). Im guessing we will not put more than 20 hrs a week on the machine. I was just wondering to go this route or to just go for a new one. With a bagger I can get a left over 500 series Toro 27hp Kohler 52 inch deck for 9400. Pull the trigger on a new one? or get this one used?

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

20 a week will only have the machin seeing 25 weeks of use @ 500 hours.

you could drop 9 large into a new machine, and use it until 3000 hours @ 500 hours a year thats 6 years., that breaks down to 1500 per year, just on the purcashe price.

or you can drop 5 large, use the used machine until 3000 hours, and get about 5 years @ 1000 per year. Plus you have the optional bagging system. and have $4000 still in the pocket.

Even if something real bad went wrong and you had to drop a grand on repairs, in the long run you'd still be ahead.

Its a deal I'd go for it....onlyif the machine appears to have been well taken care of....I just can't leave $4000 onhe table...it buy a few nice new two strokes, gas cans, extra bades, lunches, Roth or traditional IRA, less debt....

10. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Yeah, thanks for the help guys.....Im goin with the used....