1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you call back?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright, what would you guys do?

First off I screwed up. I missed an estimate for a customer last Friday that I had scheduled the week before. I actually had it written on the sheets on Friday, but somehow this estimate totally slipped my mind. so yes I realize that is my fault.

Well anyway the guy calls Saturday and leaves an angry message asking why he was blown off. Understandable. But I did not get the message until late Saturday night, and I felt it was inappropriate to call on Easter. So when I got back in today a few hours ago I call the guy.

His wife answers the phone and rips into me. For 5 min I listen to her bash me. She even had the nerve to say since she received one of our advertisements, they dont need our services, they called because since we had an ad in the paper we must need work. Then flips out because I did not call her husband back sooner. What did they want me to do call on Easter Sunday?

At any rate, I finally cut her off and said"I apologize again, please let your husband know I did return his call." I dont think if I would have stayed on the phone any longer I could have kept my cool.

So anyway I just got back and while I was out the husband called, and is on my machine saying we need to talk about this.

Do I owe this guy another phone call? I dont know him from Adam. I screwed up. I apologized. I listened to his wife berate me. Is that not good enough? I dont even want to deal with these people at this point.

So what would you guys do. Would you return his call, or just let it go? If I do return his call, no MR nice guy this time. I gurantee that.
  2. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

Forget it if you don't need the work.
  3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't want to deal with them, then I wouldn't bother calling back. You'll probably get more responses saying to call back and see what he has to say. If you need the work, then that is another story.
  4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

heck yeah call the guy back,,,,you have something he needs AND he has something you need,,,,,CALL THE MAN!
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I might would call him back and see how his attitude is. If it is bad I would just say my schedule is full or what ever and let it go from there
  6. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

apologize, and tell him that you are not intrested anymore since his wife berated you.
  7. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

Its over. Even if you got the work, things will never be the same. I really doubt that at this point you will even get the work. If you do, they will find everything to complain about. Its been my experience that a situation similar to this will turn into a long drawn out nightmare that will end ugly. If anything, I would call him back, talk to him, then respectfully let him know that you will not be working for him.
  8. Lawn Dog2001

I dont really need the work. We are actually swamped right now. I would have taken it on but not out of neccesity.
  9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

in fact,,,,call him back right now! every second you wait to call him will only make it harder to call him!
  10. Lawn Dog2001

The problem is, the guy isnt calling to hire me. He is calling to give me more of what his wife gave me. And like I said, I already played Mr Niceguy once. If he lays into me the way his wife did this will indeed get ugly. The situation was my fault, but I did apologize. Thats about all I can do.