would you cancel service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'll tell ya, this really is aggrevating to me. i signed 2 new customers the last week of may. they are both under contract. i went over it with them. i give 2 options at this point in the season. #1- pay at each visit. #2- get billed on 15th, for entire month, and payment MUST reach my box by the 1st. they both chose the billing option, signed contracts. i stressed to them during our conversation that the billing method is an extention of credit, i ABSOLUTELY MUST have payment by the 1st at the latest. the contract states the same, as well as service will cease if payment is not recieved on time. well, it's the first today, i added the last week of may onto june's billing, and i have no check from either of them. i wouldn't really care that much, but these are brand new clients, the work was done, and there is no payment. would you cancel? call? they are due tommorow(7/2) and i'm considering not showing up

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'd definitely call them. "HEY, I haven't gotten a check yet. Did you forget it? I'm do to mow tomorrow, have a check there and I'll mow, but NO CHECK - NO MOW!" "If you don't want me to mow tomorrow, have a check there anyway, as it is past due & I have done the work & want my money!"

Mike

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Make a phone call bg...maybe they are not used to having a lawn service.

4. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I agree with Rodfather.

I'd call them and explain to them the terms of the contract and how important it is to you that they pay on time.

Many people don't realize how landscapers get burned all the time and that they get weary when a customer is late with payment.

5. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Per cut is paid then.

Monthly billing is for a contracted amount, not per cuts. I'd guess you are in an area where some folks are on a nine month season? Those are the only ones who should be monthly.

The whole idea of monthly billing is supposed tobe so they can write the same amount each month, whether they got three four or five cuts. You forecast 28 cuts over nine months, you bill them for three each of those nine months.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

wrong. there is a "per cut " billing, which is what they are on. then there is a "pay as you go" option. this is where they hand me a payment each week. then there is a flat monthly fee, which is too late to get on, but i'll explain anyhow. all services for the entire season are added up, and divided into 10 equal payments. the first payment due 3/1, the last, 12/1.

7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: hey bobby if your still in the marlboro area, shoot me an email ill give you the list of the no payers, you may have recieved 2 people i dropped for that reason. tony

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

general i never ended up there. i tried to get something going there, but the competition was lowballing like mad. i actually only signed one, but quit him before i started, cus i couldn't get anything else in the area. i gave him your name. he was a house #555

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

BG, I'd say go with what Rodh said, Be nice for 1 call if they don't get it, then start collection process, then work your usual magic.

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

first of all i would assume they didnt get the bill when i called them,,,,,if they DID get the bill,,,,,collect it on the next visit and have them start paying a month in advance!

TRUST is a 2 way street!