Would you charge more?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigbone, Aug 3, 2007.

1. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

If you had to mow every lawn you mow and you could only use a 21" push mower, would you charge more? If so then you are not charging enough with your 60" ride. Your 10K mower is for your benefit, not your customers. Just something to think about.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Couldnt be more wrong IMO.

Most customers see 21'' small walkbehinds as a luxury in the cense that it is not a heavy azz 60'' rider going over their lot. Yes I would charge more because it is more of a pain in the azz to push mow a lawn than to ride over it and it takes much more time. Push mowing = premium service at a premium price.

3. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

So why buy a 60" ZTR? Just push mow everything. If you say, "I can get more done with a ride" then that's great but you have to buy that big mower usually at a high price so your not making as much money. Also, what if your ride broke down and you HAD to push everything for a few days? Would you then ask for more money from your customer for those days?

Here's another example...I was asked to pull about 10 bushes out on one of my commercial accounts and they said to just bill them for the extra work. Well, I don't have a tractor so I had to hand dig them out. When it came time to bill them I thought, "would I charge less if I had used a tractor and got the job done in 2 hours instead of 4"? Answer, no. I would have still charged the same amount. Having the tractor would be for my benefit, not theirs.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

so lets say you can mow 8 lawns a day for $30 with a 21. $240. Or you can mow 25 a day for $30. $750. Takes 20 days to break even. Do you have a hidden point, or are you just being something other than smart?

5. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

Your right, your charging the same no matter what you use to mow their lawn. That is my point. But, if you mow 8 lawns a day with your push and you charge $40, then you should charge $40 with your ride, not $30.

6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

My crew ain't gonna run with no pushmowers cause time is $$$$$$$$$$$.

7. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

No, I understand why it makes sense to buy a big ride. I'm just saying that whether you push or ride, you should charge the same. Don't charge less if you can ride the whole lawn is what i'm saying.

8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I use my Walker and Dixon wherever possible. But I do have one customer that insists on having it pushmowed, so I just bid it a few bucks higher. Still doing it too cheap though, but that is like the story of my life so I am used to it. Going to have a $30 minimum next year though:clapping: :)

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Ok good point. I dont have a 21 but your right. I guess I just missed the point because it was obvious, but not to the new guy with a new ztr.

My wife said someone stopped by offering to cut the front lawn for $10 today. She said her husband does lawn care so she wasnt interested. WTF??? I could have them do all my lawns and sit at home, lol.

10. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

Yeah, he could save himself alot of money by just working for an LCO making $12 an hour rather than running a company himself.