1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 21, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Would you charge a customer if you showed up to do a fall clean up, but you could not do it because another landscaping company is there ripping up the old landscape and replacing (don't ask about why she didn't ask me to do the work)? Should I at least charge her a service charge?

Now, bear in mind;

1. I told her I would be there the 18th or 21st if another clean up was needed. The lawn wasn't too bad, but the beds could have maybe used another clean up.

2. If I charge her that service fee, there might be a chance I lose her as a customer, but I can still get some money in the mean time.

3. If I don't charge her a service fee, she may keep me on as a customer.

So what would you guys do?
  2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

did you call her to see what she had to say?
  3. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

Go on to the next customer, no charge...but-I am not sure about your customers or area, but ours are fairly close together so going on to the next really isn't that big of deal.
  4. tiedeman

from earth

nope, haven't called her yet. I don't think that it would be that big of a deal, but she lives about 8 miles away from my regular customers
  5. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I had it happen to me last fall. So I figured no big deal and I went on thinking the same, no charge and I'll keep the customer right. Well no such luck. The thing I don't get is there was no bad blood between us even when we started the clean up and he came out saying no way. I don't know I quess you win some and you lose some. Some bid cheap and some bid high. I thought I was reasonable.
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Tideman, beings you gave her a date range and she did not call to re-schedule I believe that a "equipment mobilization" fee or something in that description is in order.
  7. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

this is a touchy time for customers. They are ready to be done paying us . If you leave a bad taste in thier mouth at the end of the season its not a good thing IMo. Even though you are in the right I wouldn't charge them unless they were way out of the way. I have wed scheduled for cleanups and people like to have them done for t-day. Its like we never get complaints when we cut on thurs or friday. I find that some people just change thier minds about their leaves and say the hell with it sometimes. I don't want to leave a bad taste in thier mouths at the end of the season. Thats why I put a sign out for cleanups while I'm working to pick up extra $$ for neighbors who cut thier own lawns but like the job I do on leaves better.
  8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

No big deal, just go to the next job.
  9. tiedeman

from earth

that is kind of what I am thinking
  10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to keep the $$ comming in too but I try and pick up a few stray leaf customers rather that hit my people too hard. Many guys around here don't like to do leaves and are done for the season but I'll take thier money. i don't mind doing leaves using the grinding method rather than hauling away.