would you continue service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 22, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i got in a real jam with first the drought, now the non stop rain. anyhow, i got a call from one client=" i am very unhappy with the service. i will finish the season with you, but will be hiring a new service next year." now, taking into consideration she has already told you u r finished for next year, and you can't seem to catch up, would you even bother doing hers anymore this year? wouldn't you rather try and catch up with your clients that you know are gonna be back next year?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing I would do is ask them face-to-face (not over the phone) what they are unhappy with in particular. I would listen to them completely before addressing any issues and trying to resolve them and hopefully, keeping the account. If I can't save the account even after explaining my circumstance (long drought and then heavy rains), screw it then, move on.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i am very unhappy with the service. i will finish the season with you, but will be hiring a new service next year."
    if u r paid up to date move on and when the call u missed my lawn tell them u said i was finished so i moved on lol

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Rod's post has it. Myself, I never burn bridges. Too many come back as highway overpasses to me.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do as Rod suggested. If it doesn't work, then you might want to consider:

1) Putting a skunk in their car; or
    2) Putting a skunk in their car and feeding their dog something that'll give it gas; or
    3) Putting a skunk in their car, feeding their dog something that'll give it gas, and telling them you just had sex with their siblings. You don't necessarily have to actually do that third thing. Just the thought that one of their blood kin did the nasty with a guy with a mullet should suffice.

If none of that makes you feel any better, you just aren't human.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If they are so unhappy that they don't want you back next year I would have to let them go now. It's not a spite thing or anything like that. I just want all of my customers happy. There is also the threat of non payment after they let you go. You should either have them pay in advance or at the time of service.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I typically don't like to burn any bridge's myself but you already know that there will be know repeat business with this customer.If you cannot satisfy them after talking to them then they need to be dropped now in a polite way.Because anything you do extra between now and the end of the season they will be questioning.Besides do you really want to work for someone that doesn't want you anyways?You might smooth things over now then June of next year they decide to get rid of you then.

8. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

If they are a pre payed customer then yes i would finish there service till the end of there contract! but since i don't use residental contracts just because of this problem. I can walk away scott free with not worrys.My pride won't be hurt and there lawn will look bad.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ah, yes, but it's not the contract, it's what is in the contract. line #1, paragraph 1, page 1, of 30, reads: " this contract is to serve as a mutual understanding between us xyz landscaping, and you, our customer.in its contents are terms and conditions of service, payments, scheduling, etc. the understanding between both parties is that , either party can cancel, at anytime, for any reason, in writing 48 hrs prior to the next scheduled service date. account must be paid in full at time of cancelation. any refunds do, at our discretion, will be issued also at this time."

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this one customer really worth this much consternation?