Would YOU do it for this price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corey4671, Mar 19, 2008.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

would you mow this for $275? That was the winning bid on this school last year (which was CONSIDERABLY lower than my bid and what a newbie buddy of mine bid). The blue line indicates a fairly steep slope I would NEVER go across but could be handled by going up and down. Purple line in a ditch along the right of way to the highway. Red line is boundary. Football field is not included. This place is less than smooth. Around the building just looks like crap. Principal, who was also my high school ag teacher, keeps all the trimming sprayed with glyphosphate. It is up for bids again this year.

Unity.jpg

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

How many acres is it?

3. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know how many acres the property is?

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Not only No BUT HE%^ NOOOOO......

5. corey4671

mowable acres I'm not sure. tax records indicate the school has a total of 25 acres deeded to it but some of that is ground that is cut for hay...the football field...the building which I have a rough estimate of 60k Sq ft....BTW needz...it's on the far north end of the county in a very remote location that you might need a herd of pack mules to get your equipment to....:) If I had to give a rough estimate based on the scale measurement given there on the screen I'd say 10-12 mowable acres. I may go try and walk it with a wheel and find out. It's only about 5minutes from my house.

6. LawnNeedz

If it is 10-12 mowable acres then there is no way that I would mow it for that price. I would charge between $400-500 per cut.

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

$25 per acre is kind of normal when you get into large acreage jobs. The problem you may have is not having the correct equipment for the job. How many hours would it take you to do this job? If you can do it in 4 hours (maybe 5 at most), then I could justify doing it for that price, but my operating cost might be different then yours. But then again different areas bring different rates, so take it for what it's worth.

8. corey4671

then I was spot on. I bid $450 and my buddy who was just starting out last year bid $425. i was talking to him this afternoon and he knows the guy who won the bid last year. He said he absolutely hates mowing that yard. It showed last year too. It looked like crap all season. I guess he was thankful for the drought cause he didn't have to mow it much. If I knew I was out there losing my butt on a job, especially that big I'd hate it too!!

9. LawnNeedz

If the property was smooth I would consider going down to $35/acre, but judging by the location I am assuming that the property is pretty rough. Good luck!

10. corey4671

Just wanted to give you guys an update. the same guy that won the bid last year at $275 won it again this year at....$200!!!! Buddy of mine knows the guy who won the bid and he said it takes him 7 HOURS TO MOW THIS!!!! WTF!! OH and get this...that is with the school spraying all the trimming with roundup!!! You have gotta be kiddin me!! See what I have to deal with around here?