would you do it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Sep 25, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if you could work 5 hours a day and gross $200.00 would you be content? keep in mind, this is for small lcos. also, this is coming from a family man's point of view. 5 hours a day 5 days a week.... $1000.00 gross? would you? be specific as to why or why not with your answers. thanks.
  2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had a wife and 2 kids - No. $1,000.00 per week gross
    less expenses would be in the neighborhood of $700.00.

$700.00 x 30 weeks approximately cutting time is $21,000.
    Which is the net business income. Now income tax and
    self employment tax (estimated tax payments) is going to whittle this down a lot.

Family expenses, mortgage payments and car payments are going to whittle it down to very little left if any.

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

No way!. By the time you subtract all the necessary overhead expenses, $200 a day isn't worth it at all.
    You need to come up with a detailed list of ALL the expenses you have in order to answer your question for yourself.
    I'm relatively confident that once you completely assess your overhead, $200 a day, or for five hours isn't worth it.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

For 52 weeks or just a regular 32 week cutting season? Either way no, it wouldn't be enough money to sustain our lifestyle especially with 2 growing kids. The older the kids get, the more expenses the household incurs.
    This week alone we put out an extra grand having to purchase class ring, school photos, birthday presents for our 5 year old, etc.
  5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

this is just a hypothetical question. doesn't pertain to me. but say the season is 40 weeks. and your spouse makes around 30,000 a year. bills all add up to 1500 a month.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Even Being single, and living at home $1,000 a week is alittle low. But a single person could make that work very well. A family man NO way you could qualify for food stamps
  7. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

$200 a day sounds good to me for 5 hours. No kids here though. Only me & the wife. I only work 4-5 hours a day during the summer here in Texas. Thats all I can stand now that I'm 38. My wife has two jobs, so that helps.

I'm looking into getting into real estate or home inspection to supplement soon.
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

In my area a 1000 a week is considered wealthy. Some days I work less than 5 hours and make 200 and other days it may be less hours and less $$$. But to answer your question I would be very happy with it.
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No......... Why settle for $1000 when you can make $2000
  10. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I am a family man ... with six kids ... so I know that kids are very expensive. There is no way I would settle for $1000 a week, even with the wife working. Familys are very expensive (College, food, shelter, toys - some for the kids too, medical bills ....)

I would not think that would be enough.