Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 29 Palms Property Management, Jul 14, 2006.

1. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Late last year I acquired a 2005 Snapper 33" Rear Engine Rider with a 16 HP B&S engine, from a friend and neighbor that sold off and gave away all of his equipment. I don't care for the RER, but it's fairly new with little time on it.
    I was approached yesterday and asked if I would think about trading the RER for a 36" Jacobsen 14 HP Kawi engine belt drive WB. Condition is decent. Looks like it has been used quite a bit, which is expected. All of the controls work good and I can't find any problems with the WB. It's about 5 years old or so.
    My question is, is it worth a trade? The RER gets no use. Just sits in the garage collecting dust. But brand new they run about $1900. And I know it's not worth that anymore. I would get more use out of the WB if I needed a backup to my Snapper 36", or added a helper. I'm asking because I don't know anything about the Jacobsen products at all. I think in the long run if I get any use out of it it'll be worth it. Since the RER is just taking up room. WB's are more efficient and quicker to get work done then the RER.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated! Sorry to ramble on......

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

? even swap?-- something you will not use for something you will?
    do I still have to answer?:)

3. Keytee04

Keytee04 LawnSite Member

Consider whether there is a Jacobsen dealer close by. Up here, I was looking to buy a Jacobsen walk behind, but when I checked on servicing it, the closest place was 45 miles away. Just something to think about.

4. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you PM. Makes sense. Yeah it will be an even swap. I know the dollar value of the Rider is more then the WB, but, I don't use the rider, so the value to me, is more so with the WB. I guess I'm just second guessing my decision, for some reason. But I do believe it would be a better choice for the business to have an addition WB.

5. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man, dont even bother 2nd guessin yourself!! PM hit it on the head, something your going to benefit from using, not just sitting there collectin dust!! So the Rider is worth more in value, but put the WB to work, and I bet u its value will be more then that rider in what it brings you, besides the fact its a nice Backup mower to have anyway!.

6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you have 2 trade? List it on Ebay and see what she brings! If she doesnt sell well then make the trade. Good Luck!!

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Only 45 miles...

my dealers are 90+ miles away. It sucks when I need service. 2 1/2 hours 1 way so 5 hours travel, not to mention time for service. Basically a wasted day.

8. Keytee04

Keytee04 LawnSite Member

My point exactly. I don't buy any brand epuipment that can't be serviced by a local shop or dealer. Something else to consider, shop around for a dealer that gives loaner machines to professionals if needed. That's the whole reason I run Ferris instead of anything else. If it breaks down, I get a loaner and my machine gets repaired faster than Joe Homeowner who brought his mower in two weeks ago.

9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Definately trade,you'll get way more use out of the walk-behind,thro on a sulkey and off you go:waving: My Bobcat dealer is Ten minute's from Me:)