would you do it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 12, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

check it out: a old lady stopped while i was working, asked for a cleanup. i said ok, did the work, took an hour, charged $70. she gave me $120. then, asked for straight fert. 2k property. i did it, charged $40. she gave me $45. then, she wanted some shrubs put in, i charged her $140, she gave me $170. then she asked if i will cut her grass, every week. i said yup. she said, but, you have to use my mower(21" murry self propelled) and bag it, and hose the mower off when youre done. would you?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

For the right price i would, and you may be able to get it from her.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure bobby, if the price was right and I needed the work I would. But my biggest fear is that some one would say i broke there mower and then want me to fix it and I dont need that headache. She seems to pay well for the other services but what about the mowing with her mower??? I had a lady that wanted me to use her rear engine snapper one time and pay 5 bux an hour. I said no thanx I only use my equipment and gave her my price, her reply was no thanks, whew I dodged a bullet that time

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Tell her your commercial equipment will do a nicer job and make her yard look better when its done.

5. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I would, she seems very gracious. If its a $40 yard she'll probally give you $50.

6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

How big is the property & does she have anywhere there to throw away clippings? Might not be too bad....depending on the pay rate & clippings disposal situation. Sounds like someone you might be able to build long term relationship with. Another thought - if there is something in your insurance policy that says liability is not covered using "other equipment", etc., or maybe your fire & marine wouldn't cover her mower......that could be another very good reason to give her NOT to use her stuff & maybe make the job a little more attractive.

7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Depends on how much it was worth to her but probably not.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tiny yard, 2k of turf area, i got no problem using the 21, and she has been extremely generous with the extra $$$$. she agreed to my mowing price without hesitation, my only fear is the nonsense of how far will this go with the mower use? is she gonna ask me to sharpen the blade, scrape the deck, change the oil? i don't do that on my own stuff

9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

2K turf........I'd do it since she's paying the rate you want. You can throw clippings from 2k in a trash can on the back of your trailer, easily. Yeah, take it. The oil thing....even if she did want you to do that it would be once in a blue moon. I mean, how many 2K mows would add up to enough engine hrs. for an oil change. It would be a nice 5 min. extra "favor" since she's paying you above your rates on every job......heck you might even want to offer that to her as a favor. Since she already asked you to spray off her mower as part of the package, just hose under the deck = a couple minutes. Sounds like a good client to me.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Consider it done! 2k SF with a 21 should take all of 10 minutes. If she wants you to service the mower tell her you would have to take it home with you to do it and charge her for pick-up and delivery.