1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you do this yard for free, client just passed away.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jun 19, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Got a phone call few minutes ago from one of of my 8 year clients daughters that their mon had passed away this morning and wanted me to do the yard tommorow. The clients yard is a large one, 2 plus hours. I thought about doing it for them free under the circumstances, I know Im not in the greatest position to be doing free stuff but I just felt like it was the right thing to do. Also got a call earlier, another cancellation, they were going to do it theirselves (or so they said). Man, by the end of the week Ill be back down to zero yards at the rate Im going! Still hate to lose to to a person dying though, not the same as being lowballed.
  2. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

If they he/she has been a good customer for that 8 years and you have the time, I would go ahead and mow it for free for them. They will remember it later!
  3. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Yes......I would mow it for free in rememberance of the deceased.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

BTW, I meant to add without sounding cruel, this client was not a great client. Last year she dropped me when I went up 5 dollars for the first time ever, then 2 months later called me back when the guy she had did not edge or weedeat and mowed down her annuals. I guess if she had been a great client I would not even given it a second thought.
  5. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

going out of your way, offering a thoughtful gesture of mowing a yard for free is very nice.... if its a 2hr job i'm sure u charge at least $100, a nice vase of flowers would cost you at least $50 when its all said and done, plus the delievry fee to the funeral home.... sure you could send some flowers for about $50, but taking the ease off of these poor souls would be great since they would have to mow their decessed mother's lawn... how sad :(

plus you only really have to pay for gas & upkeep of equipment & truck when going to & from her home this week... so its not gonna cost you much, but your going to lose some $ unfortunately b/c you could be making $ instead of doing something pro bono.... but this poor lady has supported you financially for 8 years, so go for it :thumbs up:

PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE (boy scout motto)
  6. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

man that's a hard one, with that said I probably wouldn't do it if I didn't have the time. IDK?
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

100 bucks, I wished!
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Actually no, probably not. Especially if the customer wasn't a great customer.
    This lawn is still going to need to be maintained right, even if the house is sold? And selling a house will take some time. You should have offered your condolences nicely, and then affirmed to her that you would be more than happy to still maintain service until further notice. But doing it free?? No, I wouldn't.
    As I have stated before, we do many nice things for people in the winter when we have the time. But when it comes to business, we keep it strictly business, otherwise if we let everyone tug at our heartstrings during the season, we wouldn't eat during the winter.
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

Jodi, Im sorta leaning your way to. I might do it half price or something like that. The yard is going to throw me off schedule Monday and everytime I do something nice for someone (see 90% of all my post) it bites me. Ill go by in 2 weeks and someone else will be doing the yard that is a dollar cheaper than me after I do it for free. Im still sorta undecided but will decide when I get their and see how it strikes me.
  10. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Did she ask you to do it for free? Or did she just ask you to maintain it. Maybe you can skip the edging, mow and trim, if you are doing it for free you really can't spend that much time on it. Even though I try to take alot of pride in my work, if I'm not getting paid and I really can't afford it, then I'm going to try to keep the cost and time down as much as I can if that means skipping the stuff that isn't neccesary.