Would you do this yard once a month for 225?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, May 6, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Seven years ago there was a 3 acre yard I use to do for 135 every 2 weeks.It would take me all day with my old Murray. The guy always paid me but was a penny pinching tightwad. I quit doing the yard because it was out of my way and not feasible. The guy calls me this morning and said his other guy retired (older fellow) and wanted to know if I would do it once a month. I told him I did not usually do yards less than every other week. Now I will say when I did this yard before it had very slow growing centipded. There was several times it could have easily went more than 2 weeks. I told him I would try it a couple of times for 225 and he told me to go ahead. I have a LOT better and faster equipment than 7 years ago and think I can do it in less than 4 hours or maybe 4.5 I know that most of you are going to say "no way" but my phone is not exactly ringing off the hook. That 225 will make my truck payment, I may try it and see,it may not work out but am going to give it a shot. Also have 2 other yards now in the area so is more feasible.Also he said he and his wife would keep all the limbs and pine cones picked up (we will see).

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

How tall is the grass when you would actually go to cut? How much are you cutting off?

I hate cutting extremely over grown grass... Even though the mower can handle it, it just seems to be putting to much stress on my mower.....

3. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

like you said. your phone isn't ringing off the hook. If it helps pay the bills.

4. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Who cares what "most of them say"?

This is a no brainer...he needs his lawn cut and you NEED to make your truck payment. If I needed to make the payment I would cut it even if it tool me all day. Do what you have to do (no matter what it is) until you don't have to do it any more. Piss on all that good advice, you gotta eat.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

The last time I mowed the yard the grass was probably not more than 1 to 1.5 inches tall and I had no trouble cutting it with a old worn out murray. Now I have some yards there is no way I would go a month on but this grass probably wouldnt be more than 3.5 in a month unless it has changed in the past 7. The man said it was the same and he does not ever fertilize or water it. Like I said, most folks on here will not take a yard unless its every week and Im happy for EOW! Ive got 2 now that is every 3 weeks and are no problem running wide open. I wished I could get some every week yards!

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Thought you were quitting last week?

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, but tell him the price is at least $270. He's talking you down from your price for last year. $135 x 2 per month = $270. If that Murray still works I would use it on this property until it won't go no more. No sense in putting a beating on your good equipment unnecessarily. (as long as you have time to kill).

8. anothertractor

anothertractor LawnSite Member

I would at least try it. I am in the same boat as you are. I have the equipment and I am not fully booked. I remember in accounting classes. "if you can make more than your costs, you are making money". I also am taking jobs that others won't but the better comsomers will come eventually. I have been a little disapointed with April. I figured I would get better response. I have one contract commercial and a couple of every other week accoounts, but no weeklys. Yesterday, I had three estimates (same amout I have had all year) I did not get one of them ,but I did get the second. It is a one timer for now but acted like he would get back in touch for landscaping. I got the third one and it is my first weekly customer. When I finished mowing, I had a cal from a commercial client that wants an estimate on her home and business. I could hardly sleep last night after such a great day. Hang in there and pray for your business decisions. It will work out.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

Remsen, you are correct in that and I realize that. However, the prices in my area have gone DOWN the past 2 years. Thirty five dollar yards are now down to 20, 45$ are down to 30 to 35. Also it will not take me near as long now since I have decent equipment. BTW, the Murray is sitting in the back yard junked out as a reminder of what I started with.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

Sheshovel, I said unless a miracle happens Im going to stick it out till Sept. and see how it goes, if it does not work we are going to move from here. Are you trying to get rid of me? :D Just like my wife! Im not going out without one heck of a fight.