Would you dump this customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Mar 13, 2002.

Would you dump this guy????

1. Dump him

6 vote(s)
  2. Keep him

35 vote(s)

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's my situation. Been mowing for this guy for 4 years. Last summer at a local auction he was the high bidder for $500 worth of lawncare services donated from one of my lco buddies. He only bid $200. This guy calls me in July to tell me he won the services and that he won't need my services for the rest of the season but informs me that he wants me back in the spring. I get $45/cut and is mowed every week, sometimes every 5 days when he laces the yard with fertilizer ( homeowners that hire lco's should be forbidden from applying fertilizer, but that's another thread topic). Degree of difficulty for this yard is 4 with 10 being the hardest. Takes me 40 min. to cut. Guy can be a cry baby sometimes. I want to dump him just because he dumped me in midseason last year, but it's also nice getting $200/month for 3 hours of work. Just wondering how ya'll would handle this.

2. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Dump him, then tell him that you dumped him for a more profitable account and that you'll be back next spring when you have some openings. maybee that will get thru to him.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I should tell him that I'm all booked up and that I'll have to put him on my waiting list ;) ;) ;)

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I understand how you feel. But, he had free (or already paid for service) for the end of last year.

Would you really expect him not to use that?

He obviously likes your service or he wouldn't want you back.

If you don't take him back, he finds another LCO (sounds like you were getting a reasonable price so he should be able to find someone at a comparable price).
    You lose $45 per service or $1,350 if you cut 30 times.

If you take him back, you've got the income & any additional services he might need.

In my opinion, if you don't take him back, you lose. That is assuming you have time for the work. If you are at capacity, then you don't lose anything.

I would probably take him back but let him know that cancelling in the middle of the year last year wasn't really appreciated.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The person who should be upset with this clown is your LCO buddy. He donated $500 worth of service and some idiot (your customer) only thought it was worth $200. Yea, hello...

I guess it depends on how important the $200 is to you each month. If you can replace him, I would. If not, keep working for him until someone else better comes along. The you can drop-kick him to the curb.
  6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

We're in it for the money right? Take him back BUT raise his price (tell him your prices went up since last year) raise it to $55. IF he doesn't come back, fill the spot with someone else. Good luck.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Raise the price, do the work. When you find something better replace him.

Jason and Rodfather are both correct.

Why didn't your buddy get to keep the job?
  8. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

To me it would depend on what the auction was for. It sounds to me like maybe a charity. If it was for charity, be careful not to give yourself a bad name over that.

If it were me I'd tell the guy that when he dumped me last year I had to fill his slot with another account. The account I filled it with was for $55 but it takes me a little longer. So if he would be willing to pay $50, I would be willing to drop the other acount. There's two reasons why he wants you back: You either do a better job, or your cheaper. Probably both, so use this to your advantage. Good Luck. By the way let us know what you decide.
  9. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

One more thing, five more posts. . . And you'll be a Senior Member!
  10. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I agree it depends on what the auction was for. But then again it dosen't.

He must like your work or you wouldn't be back, so raise him and get a contract, that stated 30 day cancellation clause that way if he just drops you again with out 30 day notice you get 30 days worth of pay and then tell him, this is how you make a living and yuou didn't appriciate how he did you.

Or take him till mid season and dump him like he did you. But fertilize the heck out of his place!:blob4: