Would you ever consider helping a lowballer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RyanD, Jul 5, 2006.

1. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I went in to the local auto parts store for some parts this spring and ask the manager if he had found anyone to do the lawn maintenance this year at the store. They told me they had and then the manager decided to tell me they were paying him $55 per mow. Now, for our area and the size of the lot, this is low. In fact, the manager then told me he was willing to pay a lot more and said he had actually contacted the corporate office to see if they would pay him more than what he bid it for (I know, bizarre). Of course, corporate said pay him what he bid it for.
    Here is my dilemma. I know the company that mows this property (not personally, though). Do I help establish higher prices in our local market by letting him in on the fact that they would pay a lot more (and also help this poor guy out in the process). Or do I mind my own business (literally) and let this low baller go out of business and have another replace him 2 years down the road?

2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Either way YOU lose IMO.

3. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I'm not sure I can come out of this as a winner either. Anyone else?

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Let em go man....Everyone has there own agenda in this business.

5. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

My opinion, mind your own business. I have the same thing happen to me but the low ballers here don't do a good job so don't last very long then the customer calls me. I have had people tell me well so and so bid x amount of money, and I tell them to let them do it and if anything changes, to call me. I have plenty of work and when the customer wants quality they will call me. If a low baller ask for advice, I would tell them the truth. Believe it or not, I have done this with 2 of my competitors with out being hurt by either one.

6. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I disagree. Maybe let him do it for a while then let him know you knew he could have gotten more. Explain to him why the low prices hurt business for everyone. He does need to do it for a while. I have been burnt bidding low myself. I know how it feels. Don't tell him how much he could have raised it to, just tell him more. He might just be able to help you out later on when you need some extra hands on deck. He might return the favor. Just my 2 cents.

7. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

They target a different market than us. We know several smaller landscapers and send referrals to them all the time. Those targeting the same market? They can kiss my ass (you know who you are), but we have respect for the companies that carry & conduct themselves in a respectable manner.

To answer your question, IF you tell him they're willing to pay more, you open a can of worms. Why? You open it up for another low-baller to undercut him/her and possibly get this guy pissed at you (people will blame anyone and anything but themselves when **** hits the fan).

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If you tell the guy and he raises the price next year, it can't hurt anybody and it might help everybody.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If he was my friend, maybe...

Anyone else, no.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I was a fulltime newbie 4 years ago, and I know I had no idea on alot of things and learned the hard way on alot of them. I respect all of the other guys in my area that cut also. I made friends with another LCO and he has helped me so much, both with advice and he also will give me a yard if he gets a call and its in my area. Also Im not a liscensed applicator so I send that work his way.We have became the best of friends so.............I say yes help him out, you never know when it may come back and he may be a big help to you one day

wayne