Would you "EVER" do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, May 3, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing small residentials for right now, only.

Would you guys ever drop flyers off at houses that look to be 'unkept' and in the flyer say something like "I noticed that your lawn needs to be cut. If you want to have it done for a reasonable price, call ..... etc etc"

I'm doing lawn maintenance for right now only, just mowing, edging and trimming.

Anyone ever try anything like that, and ever get anything out of it?
  2. I never just drop flyers off. If the yard looks unkept I make sure I talk with the owner, even if it means more than one trip. In my area when I target just those types of properties I rate at two new accounts for every 15 or 20 sales calls.
  3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

In my humble experience that is a bad idea. Those yards are that way for a reason. Some of these could be that the property owner is lazy, unmotivated, deceased, infirm, missing or worst of all bankrupt or financially unreliable. Are those the kind of clients you want? Go for the best looking yards you find. They are the ones who will appreciate and reward your services.
  4. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Very good advice VLM.
  5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

vlm hit it on the nose i use to go for the ones you are talking about my first year in biz ,there lawn resembles them they dont care.your lucky you dont brake your 5 grand mower cutting there junkyards for 30.00 all my accounts look good.i went on one of those type estimates the other day i just did a drive bye.
  6. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice guys, never did think of the negative to go along with it. (uncaring customers). Thanks!
  7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yeah, I agree with VLM 100%.

Those lawns look like that for a reason...and one that you usually do not want to be involved in.

I learned this my first year too.

After a while you start to look for and "see" things in a new way. Like bald tires on the car, worn out shingles, general disrepair of the house, junk and clutter in the lawn....all signs of money problems.

Unfortunatly, we are the last to get paid when "times are hard"... the electric, gas, phone, and cable TV always come first. :(

Avoid the hassles if at all possible. :)
  8. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

VLM I agree. I never have had any luck with flyers. I've found it hard to sell this service to someone who is not looking for it. On the other hand, when you advertise in the paper, phonebook, or elsewhere, and people call you, they WANT their lawn mowed and are willing to PAY!!! I'm a solo lco and am busier right now than I really want to be. Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???
  9. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Flyers work pretty good last year I done just that in area's I wanted to work. Nice homes these customers kind of compete with each other on how the lawn and landscape looks. I got about 1 job out of 20 flyers. I would get calls for mowing, hedge trimming, pruning, mulching. Works good.
  10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to agree with gravedigger. That sort of thing has never worked for me either. In my early years I tried this sort of thing, and now do not do it at all. If some body tells me so and so is looking for a lawn guy, you should go talk to them. I will always give them a card and tell this person to call me. Guess what, they ALMOST never do.

When I was trying to drum up work this way I talked to several people that had grass knee deep, and mentioned some thing about their lawn needing cut, they would always say some thing to the effect of their current lawn company was taking good care of them and so they wouldn't need me. The way they said it I am sure they have had good practice saying that.