1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you expand? Unique Situation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman24949, Sep 17, 2013.

1. lawnman24949

lawnman24949 LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention one of the people that would be hired is a part time employee who works around 20 hours a week. I would have him do the mowing with the new hire while the current full time employee does the nicer lawns and property maintenance work. I was thinking about adding around another 30 properties. This was also geared more towards next spring so if I do decide I can get another truck and find another employee, and also figure out how much more responsibility will have to be given to the current employee.
  2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

The question is, how does he feel about it? He might be perfectly fine with overseeing 2 more people. You have obviously done something right for your business to be taking off. If things are running good now, go for it. Especially if you can increase productivity and take on more work without adding much debt.

I also know the feeling of having to constantly turn down work due to lack of manpower. I am in a similar situation and we were maxed within 3 weeks at the beginning of the season. 66 leads in 3 weeks trying to do this part-time. The rest of the season I am emailing people to turn them down. In one day a couple weeks ago I sent 5 emails telling people our schedule was full for the season. It's really getting frustrating for me but i can't do anything about it until I get back in country. You, however, are in a much better position than I am. I say run the numbers to figure out how much more work you can take on vs what the employee or two will cost you then if everything looks good, go for it.