Would you give a 5% price reduction to renew a contract?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Toro 455, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

50% I would walk, we were outbid by 60% a few years ago. He assured them "his equipment was paid for and his overhead was low:rolleyes:." We were asked to match his prices and politely declined. Two years later he was bankrupt and we got a raise. Sometimes customers don't know how good your company is until you leave and they hire the other guy.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed... No way at 50%, would have to walk...

3. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I would. Then once you get growing a little more and they are a smaller part of your sales, raise it 10%. You'll have been there a while, they should be happy and comfortable with you. If then they decide to go along, it's not a big deal.

4. weaver

He's been mowing it for 30 years... What's it gonna take for them to know or get comfortable with him?

:laugh::waving:

5. 205mx

Do you know what merger means? New players!

:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. weaver

Ya but that was two seasons ago, the new people just recently asked for the 5% cut. The old managment is the one's who asked for the 50%...

7. 205mx

Well 50% is out of the question. Our industry's standard is 25-45 % profit margins
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. mowman74

mowman74 LawnSite Member

Im not surprised with that offer. TAKE IT! Make it up elsewhere. Dont loose a contract over a 5% drop.

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro, I'm curious to know your market demographics? Sabina shows a pop. of around 2 thousand, do you service columbus and those areas? Nice to be in Fla., you ain't missin' anything up here!

10. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

It was during the drought! It amounted to two mowings at the reduced rate. Then when fall arrived it was back to normal...Well normal plus core aeration, fall fert & weed control.
    It sure sounded generous when I agreed to it though.
    And I kept my job. At the old rate. Well, the old rate minus 5%. I'm doubting at this point that they'll even apply the 5% discount to me. It was just a blanket letter to all vendors.
    To keep these accounts a person at least has to appear like they're trying to go along. I can wait for this to blow over.
    If I made an issue over this they'd have 60 people trying to bid this job out from under me. Probably for less than the 95% they'd be paying me. This customer doesn't accept outside bids. They're OK with me. And I'm going to make sure it stays that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.