Would you go back to WB after using ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TreffertLawnWrx, Nov 25, 2004.

1. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering how many guys went back to dedicated WB after having zero turns. I started with a 52 tt, then bought a lazer hp,then 36",now a 60" lazer, but after finishing my accounts for clean-up I realized that perhaps i could get the same amount of work done with 2 dedicated 60"tt.

I don't have alot of use for an Ultra vac, enought that I couldnt do with a accelerator and , since almost all of my accounts are done with a giant vac, leaf plow and loader.

Yes the speed of a zero turn is efficient on say 4 of my properties, of 3,5,6 acres. But if I were to take the money and purchase 2-60" tt I see my self servicing just as much. I know I would get 60" mowers because I can do everything with a 60" Lazer. I know I might be taking a step back, but what are your thoughts.

Anything I am missing without using a zrt? I can mount a dethatcher on the front on the tt, use accelerator baggers. I would be mulching everything. Aerating is done with wb's. The only thing I can see is a loss of speed, maneuverability may be hindered, although I will be mulching everything next year and will gain deck width so I dont see that being and issue. Thanks
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I will assume you mainly work solo. That being said, how would you benefit from using TT's instead of a Lazer? I'm not sure i see the point of going back to a w/b is what i'm trying to say. I don't know how your properties are. I probably would go back to a w/b if i had to, but I don't see why you'd have to. I was using my TTHP with a 52" deck and Proslide, now i have the 52" Ferris Z, I'm definately faster and less fatigued with the Z, and now that i have bagging capability with the Fast-Vac (ultra vac equivalent) I can now offer bagging and it is effortless almost. Such a blessing to have this machine. I would hate to have to go back to w/b, but on alot of my places I am able to open it up and mow 7-10 mph on them, my TTHP only did i beleive like 5.5 mph or so (TT's are 5.75 or 6 i beleive). I'm not against your idea of going to w/b's I guess i'd just have to understand more of the details.
    happy thanksgiving!
  3. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

If your mulching a 60in TT is definately better than mulching with a ZTR especially for leaves. No dust in your face, ability to jump curbs, raise deck and cut hills to name a few advantages. I have both and experimented extensively. A good 60in WB like the TT is a totally differerent animal than a 48 or52in WB. Demo and see.
  4. TreffertLawnWrx

thanks charlie! thats exactly the kind of response I was looking for.
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to have both, there is no way we could do without our ZTRs on some properties. I could see only using hydro walk behinds on small properties, but if you have a mix of small and large properties it would be tough.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

As wet as the season has been i run a wb you need to run light on the road as fuel is not going down in price.
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

If money is not an issue, I would choose a rider type every time. No walkbehind is going to compare with a Super Z. At the end of the day on a Suspension seat, I will feel lots better then bouncing around walking, or standing on a velke. If wicked hills are not an issue, I can see no practicle reason to choose a walkbehind.

Seems like you would like validation for a decision you have already made, or wish to make, and that is fine. I wish you well regardless.

8. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

scott,i been thinking same thing as you.got a metro last week to compliment 60 lazer,and oh how nice it does.everybody you see got a ztr on trailer,but i told mydealer yesterday i think i could take 52 tt and 36 metro anddosome nice work.but i do love my lazer.
  9. TreffertLawnWrx

stoney brook, I have not yet made a decision, however I did purchase a new 60" lazer. just have not got the QDS for it. I have the z hp, metro, and tt, but was just trying to justfy a 60" tt vs adding an additional lazer for more $.
  10. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

Right now I am a one man operation. My main mower is a WB.

Much Lighter than the Z's - this really benefits you on wet grass, hills etc... In, fact I have one lawn (if you can call it that) that I just took over. It is mostly weeds and mud. I took a Z there to aerate it and got stuck. My WB just skims over the tough spots no problem. This is also true with damp grass and hills...less sliding. And then the obvious....less rutting.

Better Manueverability - I can get around better in tight places since the mower is smaller.

Disadvantages: there are two big ones

Speed - I have a few larger properties and it costs me time.....time=money.....the WB is much much slower

Attachments - it seems like every attachment made for mowers seems to go on Z's only. If I want to aerate I have to rent the aerater and the Z mower to pull it. OCDC's - I had to fabricate my own. You get the picture.

Other advantage to Z's are: they are less fatiguing by sitting down and I can change the cutting height quicker.

Other advantage to a WB: price

Conclusion: since I don't have the funds yet I will stay with my WB until I can afford a 32" WB and a 60" Z to have the best of both worlds.

If any of you more seasoned fellas have a better set up I would love to hear yours before I invest more money next year. Thanks