Would you go out of your way to care for a customers dog?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Nov 10, 2004.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have a customer with a really nice german shepard puppy......about 9 months old now.

and since the spring, everytime I go there the dog doesn't seem to be cared for. food bowl always empty, water in a 5 gal bucket green and nasty, often time she is kept in a kennel which is hardly ever cleaned.

the lady has medical issues and doesn't get around very well and IMHO...the dog is way more than she can handle.

the rest of the story... is I now carry a bag of dog food and feed the dog every time I am there. the dog always eats like it hasn't been fed in a week. and I always wash and fill the 5 gal bucket with fresh water.

now...the dog has an eye infection and I have been by a couple times extra to put medicine in the dogs eyes.

it isn't my job to tell the woman how to care for her animal. I just wonder if anyone else has had this kind of situation?

GEO

2. cward

cward LawnSite Member

The way you are handling the situation and taking care of the dog says a lot about your character. At this point, I wouldn't think twice about discussing the problem with her. She already knows there is a problem and may just need help or guidance. If nothing else, you'll feel better about trying. Again, good job on trying to help. Good luck.

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i would let the woman know asap! tell her whats going on and see how she reacts. if she seems surprised or worried, just leave it and monitor it on your visits to make sure its condition is improving.

if the woman seems like she neglects it, or its condition is not improving, call animal welfare, because this sounds like neglect and abuse. they will come and take it to where it can be cared for properly.

do the right thing.

4. Goodguy001

Goodguy001 LawnSite Member

Geo
    You are a good man :angel: . I would advise your customer as to what care you have been given the dog and ask that she let you have it. If she refuses I would get animal control involved to make sure that dog gets a good life. I am the owner of many critters and treat them as if they were family, boy does that get expensive!

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

OK--I suppose I should mention that one day I was there and had cared for the dog and the womans son stopped by. he was a nice guy, say...about 30 years old.

she wasn't there but we talked for a few minutes and I explained to him about the food and he thanked me for my time.

he gave me his number in case of some kind of emergency and we talked about the dog being too much for her to handle.

so in a way, I have discussed the matter with someone in her family.

outside of the food/medical issues with the puppy, the woman is missing out on the best time to socialize and bond with this dog. it's a shame for both of them.

GEO

6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I used to mow this lawn where every time I went there the dog was tied up outside in the 90+ heat, had no food or water, and he was skinny. Even though he always wanted to kill me when I got close, I always put down water before I left. Looking back, I probably should have called the spca. We as humans have a responsibility to our pets (even others' pets) and if we see an animal suffering something should be done to help. As cward said, maybe the old lady just needs some help and guidance with the animal, or maybe you could help find it a home if it is a nice dog. Otherwise, call the spca. It is the right thing to do. Good for you for trying to help.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

You're good man, Geo. I would carefully weigh the situation before it starts getting really cold outside.Do you call the SPCA? Humane Society? It's a tough call, but that pup doesn't deserve to be treated in that manner. If she can't properly care and provide for that dog, she should not have it, period. I see ads here all the time for people wanting pure bred puppies, but the ads read :" can't afford to pay for it, but will provide a loving home"...geesh..Do these people even consider the cost of proper vetrinarian care and shots, etc?? I have two dogs( Reg. Choc Lab, and Staffordshire Brindle Bull Terrier), and this spring when I went to Florida, it cost me 6 bills for kennel boarding, and regular shots / checkups while they were there for 11 days. People mean well by taking on a puppy or other animal, but the bottom line is if you can't afford it or "don't have time..", you should not be a pet owner. Sorry for the rant, I'll step down off my soapbox now..

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i would make a call to the son and further explain the situation. if that goes nowhere, i'd call the local humane society who will investigate as this is abuse.

i have 2 siberian huskies, one being show quality, the other being a rescue. similar situation to what you described. the dog was tied up from pup to age 1 and the collar actually grew into her neck and had to be surgically removed. a neighbor got nowhere with the owner, made a call to the humane society and the dog was removed from the home (or the neighbor removed the dog himself - not sure...). we fostered her and ended up keeping her.

tony

9. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I say do whatever it takes to get the pup out this bad situation. If everyone made an effort to make this world a better place it would be a wonderful place. It's a shame more people aren't concious of others suffering (wether 2 or 4 legged).

10. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

What kind of emergency is he waiting for? Death due to starvation or dehydration? His talking about it isn't doing the dog any good. It's obvious that the dog will never have the proper care or the attention it deserves with the current owner. I'd ask him that if I found it a better home if I could take it there. If he declined, I'd tell him I knew somebody that would(animal welfare) It always amazes me when I see such adoration for a puppy turn to neglect as it ages.

It's unfortunate that we as LCO's seem to be thrown into these situations.Tells alot about your character for getting involved, Geo.