Would you guys consider this "rude" to a customer?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Landscape89, May 1, 2008.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I gave a quote for a Spring Clean up for a house down the street from mine the other day. As I was walking around I noticed Dog Mess in a few places. The lady called and said she was fine with the price and now I am planning on doing it sometime soon. Do you guys think it's rude to call and nicely ask for the dog mess to be cleaned up before I came? I certainly dont mind doing my job that I am being paid to do.. But when I have to come home and clean up dog mess off the tools and/or my boots thats just not fair. Am I wrong and being rude to call and say something or is this reasonable? Thanks for your input--

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think it's rude if you had mentioned it when you gave the quote ... but now, after the fact when she has already accepted the offer, I think that may be rude and also not good business practice !!

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not rude at all. I asked one lady yesterday to do the same. We are doing some major rework of her drip system in flower beds, and she has 4 or 5 dogs. Stuff everywhere. She knew what I was getting at before I finished.

4. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

Anytime i give a quote if they have a dog i ALWAYS ask them to make sure the dog messes are picked up prior to my arrival, if they dont clean it up before i get there i ask again before i start and if they dont clean it up i double my price and if they dont accept the new price i simply tell them thanks and to find someone else. i HATE stepping in dog messes or getting it on my mowers.

5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

yea, just call her back before coming out.... be polite... "Hey mam', I'm lookin' forward to gettin' over there to clean up the property... I only have one small request before I come out... I noticed you have a dog... blah blah, equipment, tires, boots, garage stinks to high heaven... "
    she'll get the picture.... just be cool about it.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. Mention it nicely, and this gal will think nothing of it. She would be glad to do it, I'm sure. If a guy comes over to fix the washing machine, they are usually grateful whn it is not full of wet clothes. Dishwasher? Same. If the guy is coming to clean the carpets, it is understandable that THEY will be moving some furniture,...but PLEASE have the rug vacuumed and the garbage picked up.

7. bln

bln LawnSite Senior Member

I have it in my contracts that it must be cleaned prior to our arrival.

8. dmc337

dmc337 LawnSite Member

I have a $15 cleaning fee stated in my contracts...whap one pile and I HAVE to get a shower quickly...

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

"Ill be over tuesday please have the dog piles cleaned up before"

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Not rude if you do it politely...I hate mowing/trimming thru dog poop!