Would you have a problem with this

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bueller, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Bueller

Bueller LawnSite Member

I am a new member. This is going to be my second year as a LCO, but have been in the trade 10 - 12 years. This year my new neighbor asked me to take care to of his B&B. He had a much larger company do it last year. They didn't have any big concerns with the other company, but I guess it is because we became good neighbors. And I have done a couple of things for him. I guess I am asking if you think I would be cutting in on someones turf, (sorry for the pun).

2. JGroverCU

JGroverCU LawnSite Member

Not at all, that is what I call networking. If I was trying to lowball the price to just pick up a lawn, then I could see a question of morals. If you know the person and have built a relationship, then it is fair game. The customer always has the choice. If your service is not comparable, then he/she can always go back to the original service provider.

3. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

everybody will tell you not to work for friends, family, and neighbors. could put a strain on your relationship.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I kind of agree. Although, I do work for neighbors, it does get a little uncomfortable at times. I WON'T do work for family anymore though.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've been doing several neighbors around me for better than 20 years. No probs, here. The only thing that has come out if it is more work from friends and family.

6. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Go ahead and do it but have a good talk with the guy first and you may stop problems down the road.Biz is biz.

7. Bueller

Bueller LawnSite Member

Guys, thanks for the response, but I was not only thinking of the neighbor but the last LCO...etiquette

8. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it!!:nono:

I had a problem with my neighbor last season. We had an agreement, I will mow his lawn as often as I mowed mines (weekly). He wanted his lawn to look just like mine. I will cut it for $40 per cut and he will pay monthly. Everything was fine until the last 2 cuts of the season. He now owes me $80 and I haven't seen or talked to him since. I see him every so often get in his truck to leave but never long enough to ask for my money.

He knows he owes me, that is why he is dodging me. I guess I'll start seeing more of him when it warms up. When I do see him, I'm going to let him know that he can keep that $80 but I will never do any work for him again.

I would rather keep it this way instead of having thoughts of :hammerhead: when I see him dart to his truck to go to work in the morning. This is very therapeutic because I feel a lot better after getting this out. I wont be back to normal until Im able to confront him about it though.

I also had another problem with the lady down the street thinking I was some sort of lawn boy. She wanted to call me when she felt the lawn needed cutting, this was normally once a month. When I told her that I need her to get on a normal maint. plan she cursed me out and accused me of trying to cut in to her fixed income. :confused:

Now you see how I feel? This is not healthy for you or your relationship with your neighbor. Take my advice and dont do it.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I do a lot of work for neighbors and friends.
    Up front all of them know I am running a business and expect payment for services.
    Never had a problem and don't expect one now.
    In fact I have received a bunch of referrals from these people.
    I say go for it.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I would take on the job...and forget about the other LCO...there's no reason for you to discuss the matter with him. It's your neighbor's property, not the other LCO's property.