Would You Have Given This Quote?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Feb 28, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Would you have given this "blind" quote over the phone? I can already tell you that I didn't.

Lady calls this am and "blocks" her phone number so that it doesn't show up on the Caller ID, tells me that she received a mailer from my company last week and wants a price on cuts and fert and that she has "6 or 7,000 sq feet of lawn, with only 3 trees and no fence" and then insist that I give her a price right then over the phone. She refuses to tell me her address or name or number and keeps asking, "Well don't you have a price guide I told you the sq footage". I try explaining several times that many other things come into play in pricing along with the sq footage and that I don't want to give her an unfair price and would be happy to look at the lawn free of charge of course and then give her a price. She refuses still to give me any info.

Now I think it was one of two things.

1) Another LCO checking out the Comp

2) It sounded very much like a lady that called for a quote last week that when I got there I saw (and she failed to mention this) that the home was for sale. So since I don't do one time cuts and knowing that the home could sale at any time and that I might or might not be able to retain the new owner, and that probably why she really called is so that I could get the home looking good to help them sale. I naturally quoted a higher than normal price. Her home was a corner lot which I also managed to "pull" out of the lady that called today hers was also. Don't know why it would have been her again unless she was trying to lock me into a lower price.

What would you guys have done?

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I hate to get calls from startup LCO's trying to find out what they should be charging. So as a rule, I tell them that I have to see it first.

Or like you said she could have a alternative motive for remaining anonymous.
    Either way, I think you did the right thing in not giving prices out over the phone

3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I would have told her that since i am not able to look at the problem i will have to give you a higher than normal price to cover myself incase your lot is not what i am expecting, the price will be $1500 and when i get there if i see i over estimated i will readjust the quote i am giving you over the phone. :waving:

4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Laughed and hung up.

5. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Explain to her in no uncertain terms that you are not a dumbass and wont give out a price for a job without seeing the property first. First thing I do when people call like that is to tell them I do not give out prices over the phone and need to see the property first before making a final determination on a bid. She might have 1/2 acre, but it might be all uphill, or downhill, or by a lake or river yada yada yada. It also helps to know if the competition is checking you out.

6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I would have done it the same way you did. If they have a problem with you coming buy and giving them a free estimate, they are not worth having as a customer.

7. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

i have run into this before found out most times when they know there square footage and to mention trees and fences they are either price shopping or newbee start up.

For sale Exmark 48'' walk behind in NC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sale 2003 Exmark 48 " metro walk behind with velkey used one season has about 45 hrs on it used by homeowner.1750.00 call or pm at 336 280-3074

8. Tell her to take the phone outside so as you can get a better look, then tell her to move it slower as your not getting a clear picture, see how long she will do this.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If I couldnt come over and see the property I think I would of told her That i had to pass on her yard

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Not specifically you MMLawn, since I don't know where you stand on this matter, but why should anyone on this site be offended to quote something like this if the competition is fishing around. So many people on here piss and moan about low-ballers and educating new guys to price properly, then just give out the price over the phone. Let the competition or new guys know where to price (assuming you set the standard for pricing in your market). Everyone here talks smack, yet does nothing about it.

As far as where I stand. I could care less how others price their work. I know my costs and how to sell my company. I, as well, have better things to do than worry or cry about people like this.

I think you did the right thing and probably were more patient than I would have been.