Would you have said something?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Jun 24, 2008.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Situation:

A customer of mine recently had a small area mulched, with the red stuff.
    I know for myself this type of area takes at the most a cubic yard, but half would be good enough...
    I understand once it boils down to 1/2 cubic yards I myself get only full yards but the mulch was spread thin either way, so it could've been anyone's job at that rate.

The customer said the guy was working across the street and came over because he had mulch left over, said he would do this job for 150 so my customer let him do it.

I later informed my customer that this mulch job was worth about $70 and that I would have done it for that amount.

Would you have said something to the effect, if you felt someone else did a job you could have done for far less,
    or just let it ride? Not sure if it matters but it's a long term customer, too.

On the one hand I feel like I did the right thing for looking out for my customer...
    On the other I just feel like such a snitch thou...

2. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

It is your customer that someone else is working for and ripping off... what if your customer had found out they were ripped from someone other than you.... then how would you look? not a problem telling them, you just cement yourself more with them.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

its the customers job to know if they got hosed. Had they of askd for my smarts up front i would have given it too them.

4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I would let them know to talk to me next time for a better deal but I wouldn't say how much unless they asked.

5. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

for what it is worth it would have bugged me that someone has been working my turf so to speak. it pisses me of when a customer cuts there/my grass

6. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i would have done the same thing.right is right and if hes a good customer you owe it to him to be honest about things like that.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Now next yr he is going to call you for that $70 mulch job. Send a guy to pick up material , he stops for a coffe and fuel , then loads . Gets there and does the job . All said it cost you $60-65. You made $5 You will spend the rest of that day repeating " every time I open my mouth , it costs me money" In all reality , is there anything in this industry that can be done for $70? We charge $94.95 to change a sprinkler head , a 10 minute job. There are days I think thats too cheap.

8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have told them you would have done it for $125.00 and saved them 25 Bucks !

9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I do mulch for $70 a yard. I pay $11 per yard for the mulch, and if I have customers that only need a yard or two I do a few in one day. I usually do a large job and then go to one or two small jobs. Its not like topsites would spend all day spreading one yard of mulch. I could have that done in 10 minutes with myself and an experienced helper.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Is your helper on the books , unemployment ins , comp, liability, fuel truck ins, and replacement , phone , advertising?
    To make $ around these parts , each tech must do a minimum of $800 per day for me.