Would you hire a H.S Student?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboyil, Jan 13, 2002.

1. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

I am a Junior in H.S I have made a few attepmt at getting a job working for someone else in the green industry but the 2 years between now and when the insurance man is going to freak putting me on the payroll is a long time. My question If i know what i am doing and ican do the work safely what is the problem? Would any of you take the risk to put a high school student on the payroll?

alex

2. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I was a sophmore in highschcool when I got a job for a lco. I believe it was 2000, and there was no problem. I learned from him and now I have my own lco.

3. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i partly run my business with the help of my dad and i am in high school. i do all the work and he makes all the important decisions about the equip and the larger landscaping jobs. we sort of work in partnership. i have one guy that works for me during the season and he is a sophmore. he is really good help too.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Based on you previous post about damaging others property I would NOT hire you. Your to irresponsible, you would cost a legit business to much money fixing the damage you cause.

5. Law says you must be at least 14 with a work permit from your school.

And no, cirtain curcumstances maby.

But GrassyFras did work for me this summer.

BTW McDonnalds I'm sure is hiring. If they will hire a minor.

It's the insurance problems not the know how

6. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I thoutht OHSA required anyone running power equipment to be 18 years of age? Am I wrong?

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i worked for a LCO when i was 15. everybody has to start somewhere. next time you apply for a job, let them know you have experience(if you do) and are capable of working for them.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

this aint the time to be asking lco s for a job.
    wait until late spring,preferably after a wet spell.
    also apply on monday. a lot of help lets it hang to far out on the weekends,an dont make it in on monday.plus the person hiring
    may have more time to talk to u then.
    there some high schoolers id leave doing a job by themselves.
    others wouldnt be allowed close to my equipment.
    later now ,good luck

9. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I also, remember hearing somwhere that commercial mowers are considered ...., and you needed to be 18 to run them. Don't know about trimmers, or hand labor? The right person , Yes I would hire. When I was 16 I was managing a small marina, owner was going through a divorce not there hardly ever, I learned alot, he made money too.

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Back when i was 16 i worked at a local golf course and i was able to use hand power tools, golf carts, and lawn mowers, not any of the bigger lawn mowers or front end loader. But now im 18 with my own lawn care business and i know theres no problem with that. We, talking about my dad and my brother, dont hire anyone, if we would decide to hire someone we would have to get workmans compansation, cause if its family related workers then there isnt as much of a risk.
    I wouldnt mind having a friend of mine work for me a little bit but i dont think i would want him working full time for me, i just see a conflict with it, like they wont take me too seriously sometimes, rather hire someone that i dont know who needs a job. Thats what ill probley do once im out of school
    Matt (Lawnman)