1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you hire an overweight person?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jcantrell, Mar 5, 2007.

1. jcantrell

jcantrell LawnSite Member

As a business owner who does the interviewing of potential employees, would you consider an applicant that is overweight. Could someone who is out of shape handle a walk behind all day everyday.
  2. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

How over weight is over weight? At 260 lbs I am, on paper, over weight but I can work circles around everyone I have hired lately. I guess it depends on the situtation.
  3. gavinslawncare

gavinslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would Just because myself am overwieght iam willing to try a person if will to work. I dont think its his weight but his work ethic just my 2 cent

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

all depends on how well he works, maybe you will help him out and help him lose the weight.
  5. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i my self am overwieght but i can still work longer and harder then most the employees youll find
    you cant judge a book by its cover his weight shouldnt be a problem

now if you walk with him arond your shop and hes out of breath then yeah he might not work out
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

You offended all the Fat people:laugh: :drinkup:
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 6'0 and weigh 225 lb and nowhere near overweight and I would hire an overweight person as long as they are a legal citizen and did there work.
  8. jcantrell

jcantrell LawnSite Member

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was just curious what others opinions were. I too would give a big guy a chance, I have a few freinds that used to be big(fat) but they have now slimmed down and are the strongest pound for pound guys I know.

I think it would be interesting to have a "biggest loser" contest on lawnsite.
  9. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i guess it depends on what you mean by overweight. is he 400lbs and has to stop walking after a few steps, then no, does he have a slight beer gut, then probably no big deal
  10. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy that came to work and was over weight. he had not worked outside for many years. He lasted 3 months with me, but had a hard time coming in after a long day. The next company he was at, he lasted the rest of the season. He has been with another company for two years now and has lost the weight and doing great.

Be prepared to be patient for a while, or you will usually wear them out.