Would you hire me?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Gators_Aerator, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

I only aerate lawns. (I may also get into seeding lawns too). I have no interest in mowing, landscaping, etc.

I am thinking of expanding my business this fall and I have a question for all of you. Would you be willing to hire or sub contract with my company to handle these jobs for your clients? You set the price and I work for a negotiated percentage of that. The only time they might see my company name would be on my trailer.

I am not going to take any clients, discuss prices, sell my company over yours to them or place my sign in the yard.

I am thinking of sending letters to local LCO and offering to provide my services.

Why rent, buy or borrow, when that is my specialty? You make money for doing nothing but selling the service to your clients.

In return I can sell your company to my regular clients too.

What do you think?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Subcontracting is always an option for services not needed on a regular basis, however I'd have to ask myself one question.................Even if I rent the equipment, why am I going to pay you rather than do it ourselves?
    For occasaional use it may work, but I'm not sure I see a business here...............Maybe I'm wrong...............

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I just wish it were this easy to make a living in lawncare. Ya I would aerate all day..
    What do you mean "expanding your business" ? if you do nothing else?
    You mean expanding from aerating to seeding?

4. Gators_Aerator

Gentlemen,
    Why pay me? How many lawns can you mow for the time taken to aerate one? Even at a 70/30 split you make money doing nothing. Your clients are happy becuase of the extra service you offer and you are happy becuase you can spend time doing other things.

What I mean by expanding my business is adding more machines, and doing more work. Yes, I would like to expand to seeding too. So in the end I will be able to offer you and your clients something that you do not have spend time doing and still getting paid.

Leveraging your time and resources to keep your clients happy and make a profit is the ultimate goal in today's business environment.

I am offering just such an opportunity.

5. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

This year I've been subbing lawn rolling to a guy I met at a college course we both took last year. He is more into industrial high pressure washing and only wants to cut lawns 1 or 2 days per week so he is no threat to my business. He has his own rollers and only charges $20 - $30 per average yard. I've been charging $50 - $60 per yard (I haven't told him that though). So he is making money , and I'm making money. I hate rolling.

Then I sell an aeration to those same customers. I have given up on trying to explain to people that rolling is not too good for the lawn. I just get them to roll first, then aerate.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Why should wtake money out of my pocket from my hard earned clients and just hand it to you?You have not done the trust building,rapport building and any work to get and keep the jobs.You want something for nothing you want us to hand you work and things don't
    roll down that road so easy.30% big deal not enough to trust you with my clients yards and put my reputation in possible jepordy. Sheshovel

7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think that it is a good idea. Many people want to provide all services to there customers though and make the highest gross per customer that they can. I don't want to do that. I like your approach much better and it would work well for most customers.

I have all the equipment necessary to mow a lawn. I would rather go out and mow one more lawn than purchase more equipment so that I could provice more services to one customer. If the customer wants other services, then I tell them who to call.

8. Gators_Aerator

Sheshovel - Ouch! - Put I can understand.

Usually you do have to work to make money. I agree. In this case you don't and still make 30% profit. I think that is the point of business is to make a profit. If you can sub the job and still make money, great.

I have a client base too, so saying I have not built up trust or rapport is only a reference call away. I would not hire anyone without first giving them a test or checking references. I can understand your apprehension.

But if I satisfy your client and your needs, then what is the problem? Let me know up front that the first lawn is a test. If any of your clients complain about the service, then I am gone, because you cannot risk your business. That would be reasonable to me.

I could easily place flyers in the same neighborhood and get your clients without you, so this would protect your clients (I keep records) and also show that you can offer more services, without extra burden on yourself. It would also add to my list of companies that I too can offer my clients.

The road to making money is two way. It can be a bumpy back road or a easy to drive four lane highway. I like to drive on the highway becuase it is easier to change lanes and there are more people out there to help if you are in need. Walking that lonely back road by yourself is not fun.

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

No I own my own aerator.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sub out aerating ? I don't think so, it to common and easy of a service to sell or add to any of your customer base. I only sub the jobs that are infrequently asked for.