Would you hire women

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by 6'7 330, Sep 18, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have hired some of my nieces on maintenance crews, operating trimmers, trimming bushes etc.They were good workers had a good eye for detail. But they were not, full time employees hitting it 10 and 12 hours a day, everyday.
    Would you hire women to do grunt work on installs? For you that have never hired women, would you hire a woman? For you that have experience with having women workers, what were the pros and con you encountered?
  2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I dunno, My wife would get pizzed if she was too easy on the eyes. Personally though, If I thought she would be a good worker, then yes I would.
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 4 woman that work for me but all that do is weeding, plant flowers,and trim bushes. I personally don't think it right to have woman do grunt work . Can they do it yes but its easier for me to tell a guy to kill him self. Its just the way i was raised men do the hard labor woman do lite labor
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I've hired woman for the 12 to 14 hrs days and would love to have an all woman crew all the time for installs. Why because they pace themselves they start out at a little slower speed but there still moving at that same speed 12 hrs later. Customers love them as most decisions are made by woman/wives I think they feel more comfortable talking with a woman if they have something to say. The only draw back that I encounter is the bath room breaks :) but its a small price to pay to have one at a time leave to go to a gas station if a porti-pots not available.
  5. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

With out a doubt!!!! I myself am a woman and i can tell you when we started doing this my husband thought he would be doing most of the work but he gives out way faster than i do. At home with twin 4 year olds i am used to grunt work and multi tasking anyway
  6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i was actually thinking about this topic just a little bit ago... but you beat me to the post, bill. last year my best worker was a 30 yr old woman, and the only one that could keep up with me. she liked that trimmer more than the mower, was good, and fast. i think a lot of the other guys we tried quit cause they got tired of a woman making them look bad. she did like to yell at them. lol. all the other women i ever tried were just as bad as the lil boys. as for the office position i can never fill... the next woman who starts talking bout religion is GONE! had 4 over the past 2 years that come in praising God, then start stealing from me or doing other illegal or immorral activities at work.

nothing against women... wish i could find some good ones. customers have like the idea of a women detailing their yard.

nothing against christians either... im one... the kind thats not a hypocrit, at least. must just be lots of bad apples around here. few other people round here have made similiar comments on the church people... but thats another debate.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Do they still go to the bathroom in groups? :p

Other than that, I usually find a restroom someplace myself, even as a man, even thou I COULD go in the woods someplace, I find it is highly unprofessional to relieve oneself anywhere near the customer's prop, no matter how bad the urge (thou I must admit, the empty 32oz. bottle of in the truck comes in handy once or twice a year).
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

you dont fertilize the flowers??? lol! :p
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Depends on the size of the property, when your building entrances to new home developments that take up 100-300 acres or doing seeding for erosion controll along 10 miles of country rds where new water lines were installed, I have no problem with stepping behind some trees or piece of equipment when no ones around. And I don't think under those conditions its unprofessional.
  10. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member