Would you like to see tougher or looser regulations for licensing?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenUtah, Jun 10, 2005.

1. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I would like to get some feedback from those who are already licensed and experienced here. Do you favor an easier time getting relicensed or licensing employees to apply, or would you like to see very tough rules and regs with big enforcement and stiff penalties for the unlicensed and why.

How tough? For example, a state may require a "master license holder" that holds a degree in hort, botany or agronomy or 5 years of experience under a master and a 1000 question exam and continuing credits each year. Applicators could practice beneath this master license, under their supervision, with a multi part 250-300 question exam. Master license numbers must be posted on the truck in 4 inch high letters anywhere pesticides are being applied for hire. Fines for applying without proper licensing are $500 per occurance for first time offenders, partially paying for inspectors and community awareness campaigns. There would be room for license holders from other states with a sufficient, consecutively licensed work history with pesticides to be eligible to take the master test.

Think that's made up pie in the sky? It's the results of good intentions being blown way out of proportion. It also resulted in a million person population market being served by three companies in the early 90s. Average app price? $39.00 for an avg 2500 sq. foot lawn.

Your thoughts?
  2. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Howdy, I'd like to see tougher requirements. In NY, any idiot can get a lic.When I 1st started out, I had 3 by the time I was 21........I still take refresher courses every so often just to keep currant, though I gave up my Lic. about 15yrs ago............ :)
  3. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

In Washington state you don't need a license. I can go in and get a quart of Snapshot and put it in my sprayer and go at it. The only thing that I spray for is weeds. It's not rocket science so what's the big deal about licensing?
  4. GreenUtah

from SLC, UT

As someone who has sprayed in Washington state on governmental contracts, I have to tell you that you could not be more wrong about not needing a license in WA. Just because you were able to buy a product, has nothing to do with protecting yourself and your company. Here are the facts for your state, http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/LicensingEd/CaSpiInfo.htm#ca
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ironic, isn't it? :rolleyes:
  6. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

It stresses that you need a license for pesticides and that you may need one for herbicides. I am just a small one man business that sprays some of my lawns. I don't think that I need a license for that.
  7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

You did not need one last in AZ until 2 years ago.
  8. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

What in the heck does size have to do with anything???

Tougher regulations??? The problem with that is it only makes it harder for the professionals who already follow the laws and regulations. The darn clueless out there who are applying chemicals without the proper knowledge, licensing, or insurance will not be affected one darn bit by tougher regulations. They are not following the ones that are out there already.

What is really needed in my opinion is more employees at our States Dep. of Agriculture to keep track of records and patrol our areas making sure that everyone who applies chemicals is following IPM, has a license, is insured...etc. but *sighs :(* we all know that ain't happening.

No it isn't rocket science but there IS a level of skill and knowledge that separates the pros from the wanna bees.
  9. GreenUtah

from SLC, UT

for the record, herbicides ARE pesticides as are insecticides, fungicides, rodenticides, piscecides, etc. TJ, agreed, laws without enforcement mean not one thing. Can you change a specialty law like this? That all depends on how willing you are to spend countless hours on it, but all laws can be changed.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with tjgray. The govt' has their nose in our business enough as it is. Enforce what is on the books now. Then go after the homeowners.