Would you mow for $17.66 / acre, if.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jan 23, 2006.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

if you could make $77 / hour doing so?

I guess my point to this thread is this.

In a related post from a couple of days ago, I posted a school district that's up for bid.

Last year it was let out at $13,600 for the mowing, based on roughly 22 weeks of mowing / year.

It's approximately 35 acres of turf.

If you take 22 weeks and multiply by 35 acres, that's 770 acres / year. Now divide the $13,600 by 770 acres for the year and you get $17.66 per acre for the year.

Now, if you can mow and trim on average 5 acres / hour, remember this is a school, so you'll have fence lines and buildings, but not alot in the middle of yards and such so you're not walking criss-cross all over kingdom come, that means you'll be able to do this job in approx. 8 hours.

8 hours / week, 22 weeks / year, that's 176 hours.

$13,600 / 176 is $77 / hour.

Most people on here talk about the $1 / minute goal. Well, you're over that.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Personally I would go for it, because thats a nice chunk of change for a job thats taking 8hours. I can't make that on one day of my residential route for the year. Doing residential i only make about $400 a day. that would be $8,800 for the year. Now your saying you can bring in Over $13,000 for the year doing this account. I'd say this is great, esp. if you won't have to aquire anymore labor and insurance to do it. If you get it you could always get more employees and knock it out in 4 hours and do more accounts with the other 4 LOL, more $$$:)

I would go for it.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have your cost of business figured out? What kind of profit will you be making if you do this job? Thats what I'd be looking at.

Is it going to be profitable at 17 an acre? Do you have to trim and blow walkways/parking lots off? What other extras would need to be done? How long will it take then?

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

All I have to say is rain. That can mean that your $17.66 drops to $8.83. But I think it might be worth just because of no driving time. Good luck on the bidding!:waving:

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If his cost for the day is $120 he made $496 for the day.

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd probably go for it.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

With wam's I would do it...that is what they're geared for.

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Jpocket did you consider:

Cost Per hour for his truck sitting there
    Cost per hour for mower, trimmer, blower
    Cost of fuel, oil
    Cost of insurance
    Cost of trailer
    Cost of Misc. equipment

Even though theres no drive time that vehicle is still costing you a certain amount per hour. To me, this results back to mmlawns post about leaving money on the table. That bid sounds under bid already at 17 an acre. Around here even with multi acre lots your looking at 25-30 an acre, and thats on the cheap side. From last year I was averaging 50 an acre on 1-3 acre lots.

$618.10 per cut vs $875 per cut (at 25 acre). More money in the pocket.

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

IMO there is no way you are going to average 5 acres per hr. on a school property with any one mower setup - there are too many obstacles. I think you would be lucky to average 3 acres per hr. Now where are we at. If the place is 35 acres of turf, you need at least 25 per acre = 875 per mow times 22 mows is $19250, and even at that price with just one mower, I figure 11.6 hrs mowing with the above reasoning, and at my price above you will be at $75 per hr. - and that is just mowing - you will have some trimming also that you will be eating.

10. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought that was profit.:dizzy: Screw it I would NOT do it thats not near the money I would want!