1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

would you or wouldnt you?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by muddstopper, Apr 18, 2005.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have had a chemical license for a couple of years but have never gotten into doing the applications. With my hydroseeding business, I just havent had the time or desire. This year we have hired some help and now time seems a little more manageable. I have considered mowing because My customers are always asking for me to reccommend someone to mow their new lawn. In the county I live in there are exactly two other licensed chemical applicators beside myself and my wife. I have thought of running an add in the paper and mentioning in my ad that there are only 4 licensed chemical applicators in our county and my wife and I hold two of them. Do you know if your applicator is properly licensed and insured? I have debated starting a lawn care business for a couple of seasons and if I do start I would want to make it full service. Does anybody think that mentioning the license part of apps and questioning potential customers as to the legitimatcey of their current lawn care company is a legitimate way to advertise or would I just be stirring a hornets nest? There are more than a few doing the apps illegally.
  2. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Hey Mudd !

I think it is a very good marketing tool. Especially these days with people being enviornmenally consience. I think that people would want to know that they are having someone who has the experience and Licensing and if you are licensed you can be insured to apply pesticides!

That's my two cents.

By the way I will be getting that thing for the IAHP in the mail to you this week. Sorry but the Hydroseeding thing is keeping me going from sun up till sundown.

talk to you later Bill,

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I always tell potential customers that I am licensed and insured, and encourage them to ask anyone else they are getting quotes from the same. That way when 'billy-bob' offers a price considerably less than my quote, they will quickly understand why.
  4. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Sounds like have a niche in the area. I would go for it. Mentioning that fact that you hold half of the licenses in the county wouldn't be a bad thing.

Good Luck with your future endavour
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Plus sell the whole package from start to finish (install, fertilize/weed control, and the maintenance). Who better to care for your yard than the guy who installed it! :D
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

More or less what I had in mind.
    I see new guys getting in the lawn maintenance business almost every day. I also see those same people getting out of the mowing business almost every day. One only has to look at the owner sitting in his truck while 4 guys run around with a mower, weed eater and edger and blower on a postage stamp size lawn to see why they cant make it in the industry.