Lawn Care Forum banner

Would you pay for employee's ticket?

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  AintNoFun 
#1 ·
Troopers caught me today pulling on the expressway ramp at a checkpoint. Before we had a chance to buckle up we got waved over and busted for no seat belts. I feel bad my new guy got a $90.00 ticket but I can't see paying $180.00 out of my pocket. What would you do???:dizzy:

#2 ·
thisismurph said:
Troopers caught me today pulling on the expressway ramp at a checkpoint. Before we had a chance to buckle up we got waved over and busted for no seat belts. I feel bad my new guy got a $90.00 ticket but I can't see paying $180.00 out of my pocket. What would you do???:dizzy:
Its YOUR responsibility to make sure YOUR passengers are buckled up in YOUR truck.

#4 ·
It's your responsibility to make sure that all safety procedures are in order. Pay the fine and no that you got off cheap. Some one could have pulled out in front of you and not being able to stop in time, employee goes thru windshield. How much do you think that would cost???? If there driving on their own, then they pay their own way. Since you were the conductor it's your responsibilty. Just my .o2stupids

#7 ·
WOW... $90 each. That is alot. I guess you'd better BUCKLE UP. I think it is $10 here.

Do you have an Employee Manual? If not, make one up. Easy to do. Put all the employees responsibilities down in WRITING. Make him SIGN that he has read and understands HIS responsibilites. Put WEAR SEATBELT as a responsibility. THat answers questions for any FUTURE PROBLEMS.

Mike

#8 ·
Everyone in my car or truck wears a seatbelt, no exceptions. The other day I was driving with my brother in the car, and after 20 minutes or so, I noticed he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. If we had gotten pulled over, I would have made him pay the ticket, because I was wearing mine and he knows better. You both knew better, but being the boss, you set the example, and make the rules. Pay his ticket, and from now on, wear your seatbelt, just in case there is a cop around the next corner, or you are in, I don't know........an ACCIDENT.:hammerhead:

#12 ·
thisismurph said:
Yes I do have a employee manual and this subject will be added to it. But come on how many of you guys make you employyee's buckle up between stops.
Right on, I see your point, i bet not many employees out there are buckling up from job to job.
I say though you should eat it this one time since you never informed the employee about wearing his seatbelt...., then from now on, when you hire, you give the employee the option if they want to wear their seatbelt or not. If they choose not to, then they are on their own.

#13 ·
Here in Tennessee, drivers aren't responsible for adult passengers; if your passenger gets caught, he gets the ticket. Not sure what the fine is now, though.

#16 ·
You could use this as a one time incentive. On Friday let him know how much you appreciated his work and are willing to show some gratitude by picking up the ticket. His moral is up and you possibly are in a win win situation. Ex. Some customer wants him to side job you, but he remembers how you took care of him. I know this doesnt work with all employees.

#17 ·
I have jumped into many a vehicle as a passenger where the driver did not buckle up but I did.

We are all adults, there is no one holding a gun to our head making us not wear a seat belt, it is the law....in most states. If it is a law in your state and this employee has a license, he should know the law and should know better.

Should you set an example...yes, should it be an employee policy...yes, should you pay for his ticket....since it was not policy at the time, the answer would have to be yes, but I would only pay half and he should pay the other half.

What we do with our foremen is review the days events, the following morning we hold whats considered to be a "tailgate talk" or "toolbox" talk and review any problems from the previous day, discuss policy and anything else you don't want to happen again. This is not only a professional way to handle this, but also satisfies OSHA training. Keep a log and you will be killing two birds with one stone....unless both birds are wearing their seat belts...lol.

Peter :nono:

#18 ·
I cant believe you all would pay this guys ticket.......Is he an adult?

Seatbelt use is the law, if he dosent follow the law...Thats HIS problem.

If he was driving your truck and got a speeding ticket, would you all pay that too?

I never pay for any tickets unless it's an equipment violation with the truck that clearly wasent in the drivers control, like something found during a D.O.T. check. Even most of those I wont pay. It's the drivers responsibility to make sure the truck is in good order and he is operating it within the law.

#19 ·
i was told in NJ the driver is responsible for any passenger under 18. if the passenger is over 18 they get a ticket...

on another note i wouldn't pay for the ticket how are you responsible?

NNJLandman said:
State law says that the driver is in control/responsible for all passengers in his vehical. You techincally never should have moved your rig until everyone was buckled including yourself, hence it should be your responsiblilty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.