Would you pay for employee's ticket?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by thisismurph, May 2, 2006.

1. thisismurph

thisismurph LawnSite Member

Troopers caught me today pulling on the expressway ramp at a checkpoint. Before we had a chance to buckle up we got waved over and busted for no seat belts. I feel bad my new guy got a $90.00 ticket but I can't see paying $180.00 out of my pocket. What would you do???:dizzy:
  2. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Its YOUR responsibility to make sure YOUR passengers are buckled up in YOUR truck.
  3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

More than likely, HE knows the law. To each his own........:usflag:
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

It's your responsibility to make sure that all safety procedures are in order. Pay the fine and no that you got off cheap. Some one could have pulled out in front of you and not being able to stop in time, employee goes thru windshield. How much do you think that would cost???? If there driving on their own, then they pay their own way. Since you were the conductor it's your responsibilty. Just my .o2stupids
  5. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

He's your guy, you're responsible for him.
  6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

To All, I stand corrected - now that I thought about it. :usflag:
  7. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

WOW... $90 each. That is alot. I guess you'd better BUCKLE UP. I think it is $10 here.

Do you have an Employee Manual? If not, make one up. Easy to do. Put all the employees responsibilities down in WRITING. Make him SIGN that he has read and understands HIS responsibilites. Put WEAR SEATBELT as a responsibility. THat answers questions for any FUTURE PROBLEMS.

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Everyone in my car or truck wears a seatbelt, no exceptions. The other day I was driving with my brother in the car, and after 20 minutes or so, I noticed he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. If we had gotten pulled over, I would have made him pay the ticket, because I was wearing mine and he knows better. You both knew better, but being the boss, you set the example, and make the rules. Pay his ticket, and from now on, wear your seatbelt, just in case there is a cop around the next corner, or you are in, I don't know........an ACCIDENT.:hammerhead:
  9. thisismurph

thisismurph LawnSite Member

Yes I do have a employee manual and this subject will be added to it. But come on how many of you guys make you employyee's buckle up between stops.
  10. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Seatbelt tickets are $10.00 where I live, $90 sounds a little extreme.