would you pay for the watch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 16, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i brought this up in a previous thread that wasn't started by me. now i'm asking all viewers, would you pay for the watch? would you offer? would you only pay if client demanded? here's the scene: customer has a lawn that grows like crazy, it's always high spring summer and fall. contract states very clearly, and i qoute: "we will not be responsible for items left in the lawn." this particular customer has kids, messy, messy kids, toys everywhere, swimming goggles, sneakers, u name it. also has a dog that loves to knock over the garbage can and drag garbage all over the lawn. customer was notified by mail to please have area in a "workable manner" for thier grass cut. then notified in person when i ran over a tape measure. well, the conditions improved, but, there was the watch. it was in the lawn, the husband took it off to go swimming, didn't pick it up. i ran it over, sent it 30 feet in 5 pieces. i refused to pay. no way, it aint happening. i estimate the watch, when it was intact, to be worth in the nieghborhood of $350. would you pay? would you offer or only pay if they demanded? would you refuse to pay?
  2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

There's not a chance in hell you're liable for that.

DFW Area Landscaper
  3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

no, sue him for a new 13 dollar blade:)
  4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

No chance in hell I would pay for it. I am surprised you are even asking other's opinions on this matter unless you are just looking to rip on someone:D
  5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Don't pay for the watch. In fact drop the account. The only thing you should be picking up in the lawn is sticks.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this actually happened last year. i didn't pay for it, never even considered it, just seeing others opinions, that's all.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm...he should be glad he wasn't still wearing it...lol
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd tell em' no bueno.
  9. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

There is no way in hell anyone can see a littltle watch in hi grass and operating a wb or z mower. Souunds like to me these people are not very responsible of their property. I would refuse to pay and then drop them.
  10. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd tell him, "Wow, see how time flys when you are having fun"