1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Would you plants these?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Smallaxe, May 17, 2008.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

One of my clients had about 40 2-gal. pots shipped in for immediate planting.
    Up here we are closing the 'bare root', season and moving into the potted plant season.

What the nursery must have done was grab a bunch of leftover bareroot shrubs [about 16" tall], shoved them into 2 gallon pots full of potting soil about 2 days before they arrived here.

When you remove them for planting the dirt just crumbles out and you are holding a dirty bareroot plant that has no white root growth whatsoever. Let alone a root zone that fills the pot.

I hope the discription was adequate... so the question is - Would you plant these?

Interestted in opinions out there. thanks.
  2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure give it a shot. What do you have to lose?
  3. Smallaxe

I did and I charged extra for it.

Has this ever happened to you?
    Should I tell the client that the nursery ripped him off?
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I would tell them. I always tell my clients up-front about any questionable supplies I get. They could go and at least get a credit or something. Besides, if they get money back, the can get something else for you to plant.
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Of course you tell the client! You should have told them before you planted them, you should have shown them the lack of root ball then asked them what they wanted you to do. This way you are in the clear. Now you are as culpable as the nursery for planting plant material that was not up to par.
  6. Smallaxe

I purposely saved one to show the client. He was out of town and I can't say "they are dead" so I went ahead and planted them as he would have wanted. The delivery came up about 7 short so I hope to switch him over to buying locally.

He bought fuel for a 6hr round trip to bring this junk to his place. Talk about Americans just 'wasting' gas !! No wonder we will be investting $50/per day, just for the mower.