would you price it different?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike lane lawn care, May 18, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok so a guy at our school, the theater manager, whom i work with frequently, and we help each other out with a bunch of stuff.( I help him run the tech aspect of shows and he helps me out by assisting me with outdoor parties that i DJ). anyway, he asks me if i woud be interested in doing his lawn for a few weeks while he repairs his mower (the spindles on a yard machines tractor went), he asked me to tell him the price and then just do it. since he is a friend and has a thin budget, would you charge differently? i was thinking that because we work together that i would just charge the cost of running the equipment. i am in uncharted waters for me, and was looking to see what you guys think. especialy BG.
  2. mike lane lawn care

anybody out there?
    i feel so alone
  3. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

BG is gone as far as a know. He went crazy this past weekend posting some hostile things directed at the moderators. He said....then he said that....and that they.... You know what I mean, right?

I would charge him a reduced rate and agree upon the amount of time you will be servicing the lawn. It doesn't cost much to run the equipment, its all the other overhead you have. If you mow it too cheap, he may take as long as he can before he wants to or makes it appear that he can mow the lawn. Just be careful that you don't get stuck doing it for an extended period of time and eat all the saltine crackers you can.

-Nick Howard
  4. mike lane lawn care

thanks, and i know what you mean about not doing it too cheap, but he is not like that, yard work is part of his pride. again thanks for the reply
  5. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool LawnSite Member

If he is a true friend, do it for free.
  6. mike lane lawn care

i thought of this, and really wouldn't mind doing this long term for free, just because he is a friend, but would never allow me to do it for free. i might just do it and if he insists on paying me, then, i'll figure something out.

thanks for the reply.
  7. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I have done reduced rates for friends. They do work cheaper for me to, I have a friend that layed my carpets and kitchen floor for me and I rehabed his yard. We just swapped labor. I have done peoples lawns for free too (pick up your jaws and let me explain). I had a buddy that had a really sick baby girl, I did there lawn for free while they were in the hospital. Also the church has asked me to do some shut-ins for charity write offs. Remember what comes around goes around.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yea, you could do it for free if its just a couple/few times and if he wants to pay you let it be by donation. Thats probably one of the only ways you can do it and maintain the friendship. If he's any kind of decent friend he won't take advantage of that and like you say he probably enjoys doing his yard. I've found that for friends and neighbors you either do it for free (and let donations come if they will) or else charge full price. Any time you discount it off of your regular price you are asking for trouble no matter what...

As I see it here's your choices:
    Do it for free. If he wants to donate, let him.
    Charge full price, knowing he may not be "cool" with that at least in his head may be offended that you aren't cutting him any slack, but this is best to avoid problems.
    Charge only overhead, letting him know that you're just covering your costs. But make sure he knows this, and that you are only willing to do it this way for a few times. This method could get out of hand with certain people and they take advantage of it, but if doing it for free people usually will not take advantage of that, and at full price, nobody's going to have you do it any longer than necessary unless they just feel like it, and who cares its more biz for you then.
  9. mike lane lawn care

thanks, i was talking to him today and he said to leave a mesage on his cell phone on what i thought the price was, so i left a voice message and said there would be no charge. i haven't heard from him yet, but i will.