Would you purchase this Kubota?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PeachState, Jan 27, 2004.

1. PeachState

PeachState LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I am about to have to purchase a new mower for a ten acre 12 month contracted job. I found a Kubota ZD21 with only 71 hours on it. It is well taken care of and was bought new last spring. He is asking $8500. Any Kubota guys out there think I should or shouldn't purchase this. I was looking at a few Exmark's also, but really like the idea of this Kubota diesel. What do you think?
    Thanks, Phil

2. Lowes_Landscaping

Lowes_Landscaping Guest

Phil, sounds like a decent buy to me. I sell these and I can tell ya that a new one in that model I sell for around $9400. Kubota makes a great mower and it will definatly stay around to serve you well. Test it out first though!

3. PeachState

from Georgia

Thanks Lowes.
    With your knowledge of these mowers is there anything I should look for to send up a red flag not to buy this particular mower when I test it out?

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I had one and sold it for $8000 with 52 hrs on it, thought it was way underpowered! meg-mo don't recomend there blades becouse of lack of power and When I bought mine I paid $9,100

Don't want to step on your toes Lowes but the man asked for opions

Mac

5. PeachState

from Georgia

Yeah, I want as many opinions as I can get. I don't want to be disappointed with a purchase down the road. Of course I don't want to walk away from a good purchase.
    I don't have any favorite mower as of now so I am open to purchasing any brand. I just want to find the right z turn mower new or used. If y'all think it is better for me to purchase something new in a certain brand I definately want to know.
    thanks, phil

6. olderthandirt

from here

PeachState
    I loved the mower its got so many great features but its under powered. I was running with a steiner that had a 72 inch deck and a 20hp Onan gas engine and I could not keep up, the grass was thick and a little tall but thats what I thought the diesel was for. If I had it to do over I'd by the 28hp bota but if you really want to mow grass demo a steiner 230 diesel almost the same price but you will love it and the stripes. I replaced my "bota" with a grass hopper but don't have enough hrs to give an opion.

Mac

7. PeachState

from Georgia

OTD,
    I'm having trouble finding the steiner 230 diesel on the web. If you know of a link will you let me know.
    thanks. phil

8. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Lazer !

9. olderthandirt

from here

10. PeachState

from Georgia

It looks like I'm not going to purchase that ZD21. Right now I'm 90% sure I'm going with a new Exmark LazerZ. I'm leaning toward the 27 hp 60" mower. I really like the dealer here in town and have been pleased with him in the past. The Kubota dealer in town where I would service the ZD21 and buy accesories from is not very well liked in their customer service.
    Thanks for all your input.
    By the way OTD, the closest steiner dealer is 100 miles away from me.
    Phil