Would you put a landing here...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Oct 26, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am doing a job. The step from the back door to the patio is 7.5" from the top of the stone to the door threshold.

Would you install a landing?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If it's a decent sized patio I more than likely would. I just find it's aesthetically more appealing.

3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

So it's just one step out the door? No, not unless there was a compelling reason to put in a landing.

4. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Whats building code where are you are?
    If 7.5" is acceptable and a landing was not originally priced then no I wouldnt.

If you priced it though, I would.

I agree that it does look better to walk out onto something when dealing with patios

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

If given the choice, yes a landing. A step to me just seems thrown in there where a landing is a nicer look........more eye appealing.

6. mrusk

The door is a double patio door leading from the kitchen to the backyard. I proposed a landing that would be 36" wide and extended past the end of the door 12" on each side. Inteiror designer says no way.

7. paponte

That's why he's indoors and your not. So looking at a foundation is much more appealing then? Unless they were smart enough to leave room to install veneer without it being a tripping hazard, landing is the way to go IMO.

8. mrusk

Turns out someone installed the pool to high so there is no foundation to look at. We had to install some flashing.

9. paponte

If your talking about the job in your other post, the picture with your Amigo holding the shovel, my answer is still yes. ON the outcove of the house with windows on both sides and lights on both sides, absolutely. Offset it with 2 planters under the windows and it would be alot more inviting then a fall out of the house. Unless your going tiered on the patio.

10. mrusk

Yea thats the door. I feel like i am hitting my head against the wall on this one. I flat out feel not having a landing will take away from the project.

Basicly it was breifly mentioned during the design phase, but they brushed it off. I new it was needed but did not want to start proablems then and just priced it in.

I do not understand some peoples reasonings on how a landing would look bad. How do i convince them it is neccessary?