Would you recogmend a Walker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Mar 25, 2006.

?

Which Mower?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2006.
  1. used Walker MTGHS 26hp EFI, 103 hours

30 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. New Exmark Lazer Z hp

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at a Walker MT today. It was used with 103 hours. It is a 2004 MTGHS with the 26hp EFI. It includes the 48" GHS deck, wide tires, HD deck drive, and the 9.5 capacity catcher. He is asking $8000. On the other hand I was looking at a new Exmark Lazer Z HP with the 56" deck. That exmark is only $600 more than that slightly used Walker. I am a one man operation so I favor the Walker for the spring and fall cleanups. I also like the fact that I can put attachments on the Walker. The Exmark will get the yards done faster and I wouldn't have to worry about grass clippings. I also can just put the clippings right on the trailer and get rid of them at the end of the day if I had to. I am doing high end residential yards that range from half an acre to two. I prefer doing a quality cut instead of a fast one. What would you lean toward getting? I'm stuck between the two.

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the Walker but I also have a Dixie as well as a Lazer .... they all have their own values ..... getting into over 3/4 acre size .... the Walker is SLOW .... cuts great .... picks it up .... also in wet the bagger is gonna be a pita ... that's why I like to have the option of both a big side discharge ....although I have 2 Walkers with the bagger .... I don't bag anymore ....we have different types of turf

You said high end resi .... so I suspect $$ is not an option ....but you'd also like to save your own time being a solo there is never enough hours in the day .... I still like the Walker but more so for prop's with lots of beds n burms with tight areas .... other wise on the big areas a larger deck is it .... of coarse you can get another deck fore the Walker as well .... that is nice bout em can swap decks, use a thatcher, sweeper, blower with em

The deck being out front is Great & it floats killer ....but again is slow .... the Z has much more speed produces a very good cut as well n most have bagging attachments .... so it's kinda a coin flip ...unless you have a out n out preference

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I also have a walker, a lazer, and 2 tigers. Yesterday I choose to use the walker on some nicer properties. The henbit is blooming like crazy. The purple flowers are seed heads and rather than cutting them off and leaving them on the yard to reproduce, I took the walker and bagged them all to dispose of the seeds elsewhere. Then I put the weed & feed to em. If you use the walker and catch the clippings and twigs,leaves and other trash it always looks good when you leave. If you side discharge with any mower,(lazer included) it might look good and it might not, depending on conditions. If your customers arn't that particular and for most commercials, just take the lazer and mow & blow.

4. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

the walker 52 side discharge is a great deck too, about all I use on my Walker now. Cuts well in wet grass and stripes very nice too.

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Its a toss up the Walker can trim both sides. Its more compact, lower

to the ground. The deck flips. I own a 2001 Walker and a Scag Sthm.

I use the Scag 75%, Walker 25%. In the Fall I put Meg-mos on the Walker

use it 100% for leaves. The box holds 9.5 bu more than the Lazer hp. Get the

Walker, see Arki-tec on line they always have used decks for Walker.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

you can speed up the walker and do more with it. i know a lot about repairs on them and the efi codes if you need help down the road with it. walker would be the one i recommend. :waving:

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Both. I own a Walker and it is the main money maker in the spring for my solo operation. In fact ith some ambition you could probably pay for one in a spring worth of cleanings as I have. I don't own an Exmark but I have a Toro Z with a 62"cut for my main summer mowings. It is on the trailer with the Walker which then gets the 52SD deck for the summer cutting. They are both Kohler 26 EFI motors. I do also have a Toro 44hydro WB but that is for backup or if my wife helps out.
    I didn't vote in your poll because I choose both. You are probably going to see the benefit of both down the line. Never rule anything out, you can do it as a solo. I did. good Luck.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The lazer with the Triton will cut faster with a great cut and you should be able to start earlier in the morning then you can with the walker.

I dont know if you have ever bagged an acer with a 48" mower ????? It can take a long time.
    :usflag:

9. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

My yard is just shy of an acre and I can cut it in 23-25 minutes with my walker, and bag the whole thing.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Every three days:sleeping: