Would you replace a rider with a stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jay12, Jan 26, 2011.

1. jay12

jay12 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Its about time to trade off a mower, one of our exmark 60" riders, and was looking at the new exmark vantage mowers, less trailer space to take up, possibly slightly better fuel economy, 2500 to 3000 cheaper than a new rider, less tracking. Does anyone have any comparison to a rider, should I just buy a new rider, or look to a new Vantage any opinions welcome.

2. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

All I use is walk behinds, but would like to get a stander and would before a rider for sure unless I landed some really big lots to mow.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Bagging on riders is so much better than standers and walk behinds. You have so much more capacity and less width increase. I hate bagging with walk behinds. I can't speak on the stander bagging ability, but seeing as they use the same style side bagging units as walk behinds, I'd argue that riders bag better than standers also.

4. JayD

aw man, don't say that...I was going to buy a bagger for my walk behind this year...:cry: I wont be using it all the time, just on a couple that have a tree or two in the front...I'm tired of working the leaves to the street, then have to clean them up. These are corner lots.

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

It's okay man, if you've never had the pleasure of bagging with a rider, then you won't know what you're missing so you probably won't think it's that bad.

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

A stander to replace 52" rider or smaller yes. 60" and larger no. You will need something for bagging and that is the rider.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

If you buy a bagger for a walk behind make sure that you get one that is not metal all the way around....if your not carefull you will bend it up in a heartbeat and it is real easy to dig those into the ground or grab some vinyl with them...just speaking from experience

8. JayD

Thanks.....Yeah, I was thinking that it would take some getting used to LOL. Big problem will be where to put it. It wont fit on the trailer while on the mower and the truck bed has a hard cap, no room in there, that's where all my blowers, gas cans, hedge trimmer, rakes, and shovels ride. I will have to make a rack or something mounted on the trailer to hold it. I'm good at that kind of stuff.

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, Standers are very good mowers. Like you mentioned it takes less space they are very maneuverable and better on some hills then riders. I have had at least one for years now.

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ive got a 66 Exmark Lazer and a 48 Toro Grandstand. I like sitting on the 66 on my big lawns where Im actually mowing steady for over a half hour. If I had all smaller lawns I would go with Stand ons all the way. I dont bag much but when I do my Accelerator on the 66 is dandy.