1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Would you reverse policy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Aug 20, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your operation only mulches, you have a no bagging policy. You get calls from five customer’s, all on the same side of the street all lined up in a row. They all inform you, mulching is unacceptable. All the hags want to see bags on the mowers, or you’re fired.

These five accounts are good full service accounts; a good deal of monthly change comes jingling in every month. And despite the fact, you have tried to educate them on the benefits of mulching; they refuse all logic and say mulching is bad for the turf.

Do you reverse policy and bag? Or tell the hags to bag off?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

5 in a row! Add some extra$, and bag em'. Thats what i would do. Full service accounts are not worth loosing over bagging. Good Luck, just my 2 cents!

3. Ketron'sLawnService

Ketron'sLawnService LawnSite Member

Yeah, i'd bag and charge them more for it. The customer is always right, that means you have the right to charge them for it...........

4. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

yup....charge by the bag

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

When I run into these old folks with SCBS (senior citizen bagging syndrome) yes I will do it and charge extra for it. This was the main reason I purchased the lazer z with the qds dump from the seat bagging system.Their are some folks you just cant educate and the client is always right :rolleyes:

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I don't allow my clients to dictate how I do my work,I also don't take threats very well. I for one would drop um like a hot balloon.I don't like being told what to do.
    But then again..
    I would never get into a situation like that at all.
    Because I keep my business flexible and able to meet my clients needs.
    They are my bread and butter.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

it comes down to 2 deciding factors
    Do I or don't I need the work?

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Sheshovel, I agree with running your biz your way. However, when you get so many request for it and there is 2 lco for every yard in your area you will do things you may not like to do. I actually lost a real good yard last May because I would not bag it so I had to change my policy to "survive". Now when I get so much biz I have to start turning it away then this will change. Have a good one :waving:

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. And if I do decide to bag, I would follow my pappy's great advice he gave me one day...charge accordingly

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have read this suggestion many times on LS. Does anybody really do this? If so, do you get into wrangles with the customer on bag counts?

I keep track of bag counts, but for my own purposes. I cannot help but thinking of the feedback when the customers get their invoice and start questioning bag counts. In theory it sounds great -- heavy grass, more time, more $$$. But, can it really be implemented without a huge hassle? I doubt it.