Would you seed now (Maryland)?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

One of my customers called me today and asked me to seed... I explained to him that my cut off date was (around) October 15th and I didn't think it was a good idea at this point in time. I mentioned that the temps were going to be pretty cold this week.

He said that he thinks it'll be okay 'cause the ground is so moist and it feels pretty good (temp wise) out right now. I told him the ground temps needs to stay above 50 degrees. He said "I won't hold you acountable if every seed doesn't germinate.. go ahead and do it".

I feel like calling him back and telling him again it's not a good idea...

It's a $1000.00 job.. What would you do?

P.S. What is the ground temp right now and how fast does it drop? Where can I find this info? What kind of results can be expected.. very low to none? Will the seed sit there and germinate in the spring?

2. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hey, look…
    Let's say you do get a week or so of favorable weather conditions that would get your seed germinated. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but from all the so-called experts that I've tuned myself into over the years claim that it is highly unlikely that any new green threaded shoots of a young tender plant would make it past the first cold spell. In other words, it just ain't hardy 'nough at that infantile age to make it to puberty! To go on here, it's strongly suggested that you are able to mow your newly planted grass at least two times before heading into the winter months. Preferably more than two mowings is more along the lines that I've heard mentioned. Soooo anyway, if the customer feller your speakin' of doesn't hold you accountable for the fiasco mess that he would be dealing with by year's end here, it's totally up to you. As for me, even if it's spot seeding that you're speakin' of here, I'd not want to be associated with a (any) project that is doomed for failure right from the get-go. Your peace of mind and reputation is worth far more than what you'd make on this or any lawn care project. If you're his LCO man... don't let him down! In the meantime, investigate and check out all the information you can uncover about late winter seeding. That's the next game that's waiting to be played…
    mb

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

The guy is asking you to do a service and he accepts the full responsibility. If you dont do what he asks its just as bad or worse than not doing it at all in my opinion. It wont hurt anything, and might do fine.

The last re-seeding I did was about 2 weeks ago, and I wouldn't market it now due to the weather (unless I was aerating before hand). It seems like alot of the seed gets down in the aeration holes and does pretty good even late in the season.

Good Luck,
    Jim

Customer is the boss...do the job!

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

FTR.. I will be aerating also.

Can I get some more opinions.. please

5. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I guess the customer is always right lol
    I would go ahead and do the job, maybe you will get lucky and it will do ok. If you dont he will get someone else to do it and all his other work as well.
    After all you did your part and explained to him why you should not do it this late. That is all you can do. It's his property and his money if he wants to give it away better he gives it to you.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

It's an integrity test. I'd call the guy and tell him to seed now would be wasting his $$. You don't waste your customers $$, and you dont advise them to do things at the wrong time of year. It's bad for your business.

Dont do it man. It's just not right.

Scott

7. Jimbo

Green Pastures-

He's advising against the service, and the customer can do what he wants with his money. Personally if someone (other than my wife) told me how to spend my money I wouldnt be speaking with that person again. The worst case is that the seed doesnt take, and unless the lawn is in need of major repair the customer probably wont notice even if it doesnt take.

Im sure glad you are not my LCO...At my house Im the boss, and if someone doesnt do what I ask I will find someone else to do it.

Please read this several times so that you can learn from it.

Jim

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

IF....... YOU make it VERY clear to him that you would wait until the spring time and that you WILL NOT gurantee proper (or any) growth.

Chances are it will start to grow, but not sure if it will live through winter.

If he still wants to go against your advice, screw it.......go for it.

Money is Money! As long as you did your part to inform him on the subject, like someone else said......."The Customer is ALWAYS right"

9. Jimbo

I almost forgot. Hurry up Tom times a wasting!

Good Luck,
    Jim

10. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Some of you guys/gals here on LawnSite just blow me away at times! Of course, not everyone, just those that have the fatal misconception that they're totally alone in the driver's seat of life!
    Now I'm gonna try my best to keep this post on subject and hopefully between the lines, but no doubt, it'll be most difficult to say the least. Because you know, I have bitten my "penning tongue" more times than I'd care to 'fess up to! My bucket is nearly full and it's about to have some of its contents slosh out. I write those words knowing that so-called "religion" and/or "religious" issues, as well as political views are personal and can be very opinionated perspectives that one has. So please don't cast stones at me for what I'm about to say or even fail to mention. Like the old adage goes, if the shoe fits, then wear it. If not, then don't worry 'bout it. Be forewarned though… if you choose to read on, you will become responsible for what's been shared. That goes no matter where you tread in life.
    With that being said, please allow me to go on and say… no! I can't go there, at least not yet I mustn't. Okay, I'm not officially one of yu'l, yet, at least not on the scale that'll I'll / it'll one day become. But even still, can we all agree that most LCO's have an imperative need for "things" to grow, or our services would not be solicited by others… correct? So then, with the infinite knowledge and wisdom that most LawnSite folks possess - in general, that a LCO has about themselves, who alone has the mastery talent to make "things," such as ordinary green ole grass… survive and/or grow? If it doesn't rain for months on end… and all the water supply in the world has been consumed, can you grow your grass solely on your own merit? Okay, let's say we have plenty of water, but the sun fails to shine for months on end… No, and I don't mean it's just hidden behind some layer of clouds, I'm speakin' of complete blackness blanketing your corner of the world! Do any of you have the ability and can just anyone grow what you like to make money at in cutting? Again, I don't think so! Now please, hang with me, sooner or later I'll try "get" there… okay? What I'm attempting to get nearer to… as in every vocation, there is not a ONE of us that can survive in this industry without someOne working in our behalf… "behind" the scenes ya could say. Call it what you'd like to, but fellers, there is someOne who created us from this dirt that many seem to "think" they can grow their grass in.
    So then, by now most all of you will think I'm some "religious" gook that's sitting behind this keyboard. And folks, if that's you, that couldn't be further from the truth! Now if you'd determined to yourself that I've been "blood-bought" by the Creator's Son Himself, you've zeroed me in to the cross hairs of your scope!! And to go on here, 'least you think otherwise of where I'm found on this third rock of His, I'm the most IMPERFECT person that I've ever met in my entire life! You see, in layman's terms it's sorta like there's this never-ending brilliant light source that burns within me… one that endlessly reveals all the "scum" I have about myself… case closed, 'k!?! So then, I say all that to you in hopes that you'll understand why I responded as I earlier did to the subject of this post, the late seeding of grass.
    Because without a shadow of doubt I personally know there's a much Higher authoritative figure in life than where mankind finds himself in this pecking order. We each do have some control over our ultimate destiny, and in the meantime, over our walk and some of circumstances in life that we encounter. In other words, if we choose to do what is right by the Creator's given criteria, then there is some immediate rewards for this favorable behavior. And of course, the opposite of that is equally true. But that is not why we each must do what is "good" and "fair" in our dealings and relationships with others. We do what is right because right is simply that, right! What I'm meaning to say is this… and that is, there is blessings galore in store to be freely given away for those that have His purpose in the forefront of your actions. And for those that don't really understand what a blessing can be to them, it can be nearly anything that brings contentment or true peace in their lives! It can be good health, getting extra mileage out of your equipment, spindles that turn quad sets of blades for seasons on end (!!), having someone make you a fantastic deal on a new piece of machinery, you name it for yourself! The list can go on and on. In other words, there is absolutely no way that you could put a monetary value on it all… 'cos a blessing can be so vast and wide! So don't cash your blessing in early 'cos you think shortchangin' someone might make you more profit in the long run!
    In our own "justifiable" minds, most everyone is capable of spawning an excusable but transparent means of fluffing over the real truth of a situation or matter. Yes, up to the point where they will distort, twist and dress up the facts at hand… up to the point that'll ultimately have them end up taking money from their clientele's personal store house... and come out the other side of this business transaction feeling they've been fairly upfront, having just met the bare minimum of what could/should have been revealed. But friend, real truth of the matter is… is if you are knowledgeable to the fact that the odds are stacked way waaaaay high and against for your customer to get his money's worth from your rendered services… Annnnd and there's a gray-ish cloud hovering in the air about what the long term benefit(s) and ultimate expectations of this business transaction will become… Annnnd and you proceed to perform the tasks that are asked for and/or are needed, just so you can say that you've been open and have done your part, annnnnd and proceed to take his money… with the ill-bent preconceived notion, thinking you're gonna further your bottom line number by the time it's all said and done, then brother, you are sadly sadly sadly mistaken! If in question of whether or not you're being totally upfront and truthful with a client, then administer to yourself a "litmus" test, have you. Ask yourself this question… If this potential customer was your mother, father, grandparent, or what have you… you know, someone you love, someone you cherish their friendship with, would there be no guilt in going forward with the exchange of funds, in this "for instance," the seeding project? None of us can escape and get around the fact that we all are accountable for what we have knowledge of! Yep, our actions and/or inactions belong to us and us alone! Good or bad, our name is written aaaaall over 'em! Bottom line, there is absolutely no, none, nil substitute for honesty and integrity in one's life, business and practices. Sheer ability will enable a man to go to the top, but it takes a good character to keep him/her there at that level. Character is much easier kept than recovered… now go and ponder that fact! Of what's visible and available to man, you can have all the newest, shiniest, the prettiest grass cuttin' machines that's available on the market scene. But friend, it's all made of temporal "stuff" that sooner or later it'll not stand the good old fashioned test of time. Sooner or later it'll either rust, rot or decay itself back into the ground that it's presently sittin' on. What you're made of inside your inner being, you'll take to your grave. And like it or not, that's where the accountability issue will be justly reckoned with. Simply put… To much that is given, much will be required…

Try as you wish to separate those "church and state" issues in your heart, mind and soul. If you think you're able to separate "photosynthesis and the Creator" in your business, by any means whatsoever, all I can say to you is you're a man of quicksand faith! A faith that will tested in the fiery test of time… count on it coming to pass.
    In closing,
    Talent develops in quiet places, character in the full current of human life. Do what is right in the eyes of our Creator, not mine nor anyone's! And then, after doing so, don't look back because you simply cannot out-give the Man who owns it all in the first place! Choose you this day, 'fore he is no fool that gives what he cannot take, to gain that which he cannot lose…
    mb