Would you show up at debtor's work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Aug 9, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have an account that owes a small amount, but company policy is to chase all delinquent accounts until satisfied. To make a long story short, the folks never paid for a grass cut they received right about 60 days ago, I've hand-delivered a terse letter that explains their account will be sent to collections and go to court but they don't seem to realize that I have the ability to do this. Matter of fact, they think I'm just a lawn boy and that is where I feel the problem exists, they simply don't pay.

Now I found out where they both work, one is a volunteer fire fighter, the other a professor at a private University. I have one of their email addresses and can locate that of co-workers and staff (at the college).

I am thinking about emailing several of the staff at the u. and also showing up at the fire department to explain in few words the importance of paying businesses the money you rightfully owe.

That's before I send it to collections, who will also be calling them at their home, maybe I'll forward them their work number thou this can put a bind on things with the Fair debt collection act.

It would seem that the Fair debt collection act covers mostly things a debt collector (such as a collection agent) can not do, but doesn't say much about the creditor (me), so it appears that most anything short of breaking the law is open game.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has chased to such extent and if it's legal, how well does it work?

Thanks.

2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if it's legal or not, but if it were me I'd go through normal collections and court channels. You said it was for "a grass cut". It would have to be a lot more than that to make me show up at their place of employment and make a scene. And emailing colleagues would be a definite no-no.

JMO

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

ya might wana add a "company policy" that ya don't do single cuts or if ya do that payment be on hand at completion of work

In FL it's illegal to contact someone at their place of work fore a debt .... in fact if they inform you to not call them at home than you can't ...have ta handle it thru the courts

4. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

do not contact there co-workers about there debt this is illegal and it is considered harrasment and you would be the one in trouble.

5. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think the whole idea of going to their work and contacting their coworkers is a little unproffesional. I think you should go through the regular collections process although I am not sure of all the steps involved. It sounds like you are putting much more effort into this client than it is worth. By the time you research their coworkers and contact, you'll make nothing from them in proportion to the time spent. Just keep contacting them at home and bugging the hell out of them that way? Try to catch them off gaurd and see if you can have a talk with them. How much money are we talking about here.

I can't believe you listen to Def Leppard. That really dissapoints me. I once listened to Michael Bolton and Celine Dion simultaneously. The combination made my eyes bleed.:dizzy: Good luck getting paid!

6. dhatcher

dhatcher LawnSite Member

I think you need to do more research on credit collection practices before those folks end up owning your company.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

This is a joke, right? You do something like that and you need your head examined big time...period.

That pitiful amount of money they owe you will be nothing in comparison to the lawsuit that is handed to you from the county sheriff soon afterward for defamation of character, libel, slander, and who knows what else some attorney will come up with.

Hope your home doesn't accidently catch on fire there skippy...as they say in ebonics, we be ****** :laugh:

8. robby

robby LawnSite Member

Have you called and talked to them about the nonpayment, or just by letter so far?
    What kills me is the ones who come up with all kinds of lies and excuses. They lost the bill, they are waiting on their check from their workplace, your check is in the mail, and on and on.
    In a couple of hours i'm going to be dropping by the house of one of these types who owes me for a one time cut. In all my years i've never made a special housecall to collect. I guess i've been lucky so far. But this guy I shoulda known from the first time he called me that he was bad news. I made a bad judgement call by mowing it in the first place. Since being billed i've called him twice. He's proven to be a liar and its gonna be interesting to see if he pays me tonite. I just dont like that feeling that comes with being ripped off, even its for a few bucks.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you show up at their workplace or harrass them through co-workers you will be the one getting ready to ante up.

You might want to give it a bit more thought.:nono:

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

There have been a few times a client has been over 60 days. I just called them and said "I'm coming by in a few minutes...I need to pick up a check from you."
    Ive never had anyone refuse...they usually act embarrassed and even apoligize.